Growing up as an only child.

I had no brothers or sisters as a child and had a grate time and never wanted for any thing,but when I tell people this they all say what a shame not having brothers or sisters, some say are you selfish were you spoilt as a child or would you have liked to have had brothers or sisters?funny thing is I married a girl from a family of six kids and I class them all as my own brothers and sisters,strange how life works out.

Dunno but both my parents were only children so I have no aunties or uncles or cousins. It was not good because there was not that pressure release valve of other people being around to stop people (eg my parents) going to far and to occasionally step in and stand up to the kids or counsel them that they were being too strict or punishing too harshly.

It was an absolute nightmare growing up because they were completely excessive in the way they treated me and very cruel but nobody would ever tell them to stop. I reckon if it there had been other family around it might have been nipped in the bud.

Also they were two extremes. My mum was incredibly spoilt but my Dad's parent's virtually ignored him so he was isolated all his childhood. Made two very, very odd people.

I guess people who say that can't see beyond their own great experience of having a sibling! If they had a sibling from hell they'd probably say 'lucky you' :hihi:

I'm so close to my brothers and I love being an Aunty so I can't imagine having been an only child either. It's nice you have your wife's family as your own now too!

i came up as the first of seven. my dad's the third of 11. and my mom's the second of nine.

can't even imagine what it's like to be from a small family, let alone only child.

but i do feel that if i had been an only child, or come from a smaller family, i would have managed to dilute some of the traits i have that can be liabilities in normal situations.

not that I'm complaining. i have two hundred friends on facebook. more than three quarters of them have the same surname as me and i know and have met them all:-)

i came up as the first of seven. my dad's the third of 11. and my mom's the second of nine.

can't even imagine what it's like to be from a small family, let alone only child.

but i do feel that if i had been an only child, or come from a smaller family, i would have managed to dilute some of the traits i have that can be liabilities in normal situations.

not that I'm complaining. i have two hundred friends on facebook. more than three quarters of them have the same surname as me and i know and have met them all:-)

You sound like you were on Deep Space Nine, destination tertiary Seven of Nine:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Seriously my mum was one of thirteen and my dad one of six so as well as my brother I have a lot of cousins but my niece was an only child and she didn;t miss out on anything.

You sound like you were on Deep Space Nine, destination tertiary Seven of Nine:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Seriously my mum was one of thirteen and my dad one of six so as well as my brother I have a lot of cousins but my niece was an only child and she didn;t miss out on anything.

:hihi::hihi: never thought of that. i guess coz my dad's the third born i'd be one of three, maybe? can't help tring to do that with a borg voice but the only one playing in my head is some strange mix of seven of nine and me with a cough.

but, yeah, you're right. we only know what we came up with so we can't miss what we never had.

in this country, though, with so many people coming from small families i find that my lack of boundaries (i have almost no concept of personal space or property) and the fact that i have little sense of the individual make for some tricky misunderstanding.

I was the last of thirteen, the other twelve are gone now but I have taken good care of their inheritance.:)

And we thought you were a self made man, would you like to adopt me? I'm house trained and am not allergic to cuckoo clocks:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Archived