Are there any such People as Work Study Engineers now?

desy

Are there any such people as Work Study Engineers now? At one time there were dozens about employed by the likes of the following:

James Neill

Sheffield Twist Drill & Steel Company(Dormer Tools)

Stanley Tools

Spear & Jackson

Easterbrook & Allcard (Presto Tools)

Rothervale Joinery(John Carr)(Rugby Joinery)

and many more.

I worked and trained originally at Sheffield Twist Drill for 9yrs then Moved to Rothervale Joinery in it's many guisers for 20 years.

Please get in touch if you were an engineer there I am certain we can connect a few old friends. Here are a few names: Michael Pennington, John Hinch, Richard Hardy, Brian McGrail, Derek Yeardley, Lewis Thompson, Alex Marsden, Ken Smith, Geoff Wood, Michael Bruck, Barry White, Barry Black, Maurice Owens, John Beeley, Ron Allen, Eddie Wing, Denis Dunne, Gareth Jones, Ken Wilson, John Dix,Terry Andrews, Tony Cowley, Roy South, Les Perkington, Peter Wright, Ken Mountain, Jim Allen, Pat Hopwood, George Hill, Gary Bullivant. Davi Hague, Julie Farrington, Malcolm Storey, Jim Hallam. Steve Cade, Keith Horner, Jim Patton

I am sure there are others I can remember the faces but the names have gone.

I should imagine you and I are two of a dying breed these days with the state of Engineering in this country.

I was told the other day that there are 3 or 4 engineering cincerns closing each week.

The secondhand dealers are awash with unwanted machinery and sadly it is mostly going abroad.

Happy Days Gone By!

Originally posted by PopT

I should imagine you and I are two of a dying breed these days with the state of Engineering in this country.

I was told the other day that there are 3 or 4 engineering cincerns closing each week.

The secondhand dealers are awash with unwanted machinery and sadly it is mostly going abroad.

Happy Days Gone By!

This job was not just limited to engineering any type of manufacturing production. I know which in Sheffield is a great deal less now

Spooky cus I was only thinking of the same question the other day.

I was a WSE at Woodhead Components, James Neil and then Sanderson Kayser during the '70s

I spent my last year in the 'profession' as a contractor at Bramah Engineering - then the recession hit and I was unemployed for six months until I changed career completly and went into Telecommunications which has paid my wages ever since.

Remember when Tidmans recruited WSE to go and work in the US with promises of great wages.

When I was made redundent in 1998 it wasn't till 2003 I saw the first job advertised at Birds in Derby.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by HateTesco

My Dad was a Work Study engineer for Rolls Royce. He died

in 2000 following Hospital complications for an inguinal hernia.

I knew a couple of the Rolls Royce WSE's when I did a contract for them in the Turbine Blades division - if you dont want to go public, HateTEsco, would you PM me his name - long chance but I may have known him

Originally posted by wendygs

Isnt this now known as systems re-engineering aka downsizing, ie make as many people redundant as possible so that the company becomes leaner, fitter and more cost-effective? Or is that me just being cynical?

cynical

Making the company cost effective, more efficient, improving methods,better product efficiency. Also you did not have to have a paper degree, that when you went into a company, with a load of Bu** S*it in the head and muck it up on the shop floor as I have seen before. That's why people are made redundent +Accountants

Archived