The inquest on 7/7

some of the criticism seems to be the emergency services took too long in making sure the tunnels, buses etc were 'safe' before they went in to save the wounded.

is this fair criticism, you think?

i'm not sure. i think you should do all you can, as soon as you can (job or not) to rise to the aide of those fallen. but not sure at what risk.

some of the criticism seems to be the emergency services took too long in making sure the tunnels, buses etc were 'safe' before they went in to save the wounded.

is this fair criticism, you think?

i'm not sure. i think you should do all you can, as soon as you can (job or not) to rise to the aide of those fallen. but not sure at what risk.

The emergency services all take risks don't they ? they all deserve medals.

The emergency services all take risks don't they ? they all deserve medals.

I'd say so too. but the criticism at the moment seems to be that they 'took too long' to go in because of regulation on checking how safe it was for them to go in.

First thing you are taught in first aid is make sure the area is safe and you are safe. A dead rescuer is a useless rescuer.

i remember that from basic first aid and that. don't rush in...

i suppose the grieving families needed someone still around to blame. there are people that didn't die straight away. they saying those could have been saved had the rescue guys moved in earlier.

i remember that from basic first aid and that. don't rush in...

i suppose the grieving families needed someone still around to blame. there are people that didn't die straight away. they saying those could have been saved had the rescue guys moved in earlier.

The inquest says the delay didn't cost lives apparently.

I think it's easy for anyone to say the emergency services didn't respond quick enough, or didn't do enough, or made mistakes.

This was a unique event - nothing like it had happened before. What had happened before was the IRA, who used to plant secondary devices specifically to target the emergency services. On 9/11 the New York fire service sent 400 fire fighters to the scene of the first attack. 343 of those died when the tower they had entered collapsed. Not only did that mean there were 343 more casualties in need of rescue, it also meant there were 343 less rescuers.

Whilst it may be true that there are things that could have been done better, there are also a lot of things that could have been done worse. We should be grateful for what the emergency services did that day.

I know that the families will feel differently and that is understandable, but from an objective viewpoint, the people to blame for their loved ones deaths were the four men who took bombs onto the trains and bus.

Archived