Britain says NO to the Alternative Vote

I'm chuffed to bits about this! :banana:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13297573

UK voters have rejected a change to the voting system - a major blow to Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg after heavy election losses.

Counting continues but more than 9.8m people have voted to keep first-past-the-post, more than 50% of votes cast.

The No campaign is on course get a decisive 69% of the vote - leading AV campaigner Chris Huhne conceded the rejection had been "overwhelming".

But more than 9,873,000 No votes have already been counted - the 50% threshold after which the Yes campaign cannot win. The official result will not be announced until all results have been declared - expected at around 2000 BST. So far more than 300 areas of the UK have voted No, while those which have voted Yes are still in single figures - many of which are in London.

Guest sibon
Wohoo! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

For the record... I'd like to unreservedly agree with mjscuba:D

What are the chances of that?

I think when you add the poor turnout into the equation as well, the Yes campaign has be completely and totally slaughted! I am surprised that it was such a big win, but glad we don't have AV now.

I'm not suprised at all.

I was a bit suprised at how it turned out. The Yes campaign had a lot of people who were very passionate about electoral reform, knew the issue very well and saw this as a once in a lifetime chance to change the voting system to something more to their liking. They had a lot of advantages which they really should have made count.

However, the Yes2AV camp ran an exceptionally poor campaign. Partly because the main political bloc in support, the Lib Dems are so unpopular at the moment, partly because AV is an inferior, over-tactical and over-complex system, and partly because many Yes2AV campaigners seemed more interested in talking amongst themselves then in talking to the electorate.

It's a shame. We had a chance to throw out a system that elects MPs on 32% of the vote. Many reasons. The yes campaign was lacklustre and slow, the no campaign was high profile and lied, and people just hate Nick Clegg.

Archived