Britain says NO to the Alternative Vote

Great success!

It's been a great day all round for the Tories. They have more councillors than they had before - more than double the number that Labour can muster. They've seen Labour destroyed in Scotland, and as the only party entirely opposed to AV, they've scored another victory here.

Luckily for Clegg, Cameron has already announced that he will continue with the coalition and has no plans to call for a snap election to take advantage.

agree good day for the Tories. They were the biggest winners in these elections. In a couple of years, when they start taking proper electoral batterings, they'll remember this day as one the higher points of this government.

it actually pleases me to read that people on here are praising the tories on their successes. historically sheffield has always been labour and it's no joke to say that some sheffielders would vote labour even if the candidate was a monkey. that said some of the labour candidates have been monkeys. so it is quite encouraging to see that the tide might be turning towards the tories instead. lib dem have had their day so the tories may well see a surge in popularity in forthcoming elections.

I think it's thoroughly depressing a waste of an opportunity in so many different ways.

i voted in favour of AV but i was in the minority. i felt that a change in the electoral process would have been a good thing. can you elaborate on some of your thoughts of it being a depresing waste of oportunity?.

There are independent candidates and very minor parties, but in England, it'S usually a 3-horse race.

Some people will always vote Conservative

Some people will always vote Labour

Some people will always vote Lib Dem.

Few Conservative voters would be prepared to vote Labour and few Labour voters would be prepared to vote Conservative, so it seems obvious that the proposed system favoured the Lib Dems.

How can a system which favours any political party be 'fair'?

Even with AV, voting is not compulsory, so it would be possible for a candidate to be elected with far less than 50% of the votes of the electorate.

Perhaps voting should be compulsory?

It's a shame. We had a chance to throw out a system that elects MPs on 32% of the vote. Many reasons. The yes campaign was lacklustre and slow, the no campaign was high profile and lied, and people just hate Nick Clegg.

People hate Nick Clegg for many reasons, so its no surprise really, the man is a prat and well out of depth. Is that the best leader the lib dums can come up with:hihi:

People hate Nick Clegg for many reasons, so its no surprise really, the man is a prat and well out of depth. Is that the best leader the lib dums can come up with:hihi:

Maybe so, but there is no bigger sleaze ball than David Cameron. Vile man.

There are independent candidates and very minor parties, but in England, it'S usually a 3-horse race.

Some people will always vote Conservative

Some people will always vote Labour

Some people will always vote Lib Dem.

Few Conservative voters would be prepared to vote Labour and few Labour voters would be prepared to vote Conservative, so it seems obvious that the proposed system favoured the Lib Dems.

How can a system which favours any political party be 'fair'?

Even with AV, voting is not compulsory, so it would be possible for a candidate to be elected with far less than 50% of the votes of the electorate.

Perhaps voting should be compulsory?

I think voting should definitely be compulsory. It's shameful that so few vote. Many more moan though don't they?

Archived