Britain says NO to the Alternative Vote

Can I pay with my 1991 pound or the 1992 pound? Black Wednesday cut the value of the latter. ;)

As long as it has the queen’s head on it I don't think it will matter.

You’re going to need more than one though.:)

I don't vote so couldn't care less.

Labour (resposible for the mess domestic and international)

Tory (i need not say anymore)

Lib Dem (wasted vote as you got Tory)

Thats not an excuse not to vote, people died to get you the right to vote. Don't complain about government if you can't be bothered to vote:(

It's your argument that's loopy. Why should you have to vote just to be given the right to complain? A complaint is not a good thing you know?

If you don't vote you have a right to complain about any party and, if you so wish, the system of government as a whole. Not voting is therefore very liberating. It's only if you do vote that you are suddenly tied up with having to justify the actions of your party- you become partly personally responsible.

As I said people died to get you the right to vote, you don't have to justify yourself to anybody but if you can't be bothered to vote to try and get your chosen party in then you have no right to complain about what the rest of us have chosen

As I said people died to get you the right to vote, you don't have to justify yourself to anybody but if you can't be bothered to vote to try and get your chosen party in then you have no right to complain about what the rest of us have chosen

The number of people who died to get me a vote pales in comparison to the number of people our government has killed throughout history. Perhaps you should consider that.

It's my political philosophy not to vote, it has nothing to do with 'can't be bothered'.

It's my political philosophy not to vote, it has nothing to do with 'can't be bothered'.

Problem is, somebody has to try and run the country so by not voting you are in essecence saying you don't give a damn who it is. Even got the wive voting as she used to be the same. If nobody voted you could end up with extremist parties like the BNP running the country, if they got all thier supporters to vote while all other parties failed dismally to get anyone to vote.

Or do you want to get rid of government and hand power back to the royals?

It's a shame. We had a chance to throw out a system that elects MPs on 32% of the vote. Many reasons. The yes campaign was lacklustre and slow, the no campaign was high profile and lied, and people just hate Nick Clegg.

The yes campaign was fronted by Ed Milliband but folks hate him as well.

i voted in favour of AV but i was in the minority. i felt that a change in the electoral process would have been a good thing. can you elaborate on some of your thoughts of it being a depresing waste of oportunity?.

I have many thoughts on the subject, too numerous to be bothered to type here.

To try and outline my thoughts, I believe that under our current voting system we appear to have polarized ourselves into two party politics and feel that we are not wholly represented in parliament. As you stated yourself earlier there are many people who seem to support one side or another without even thinking about it as though they are supporting a football team, this in turn has led us to arrogant politicians who really couldn't care less about what's good for us 'the electorate' and simply play the role of career politician and do what's good for themselves.

As also stated earlier by others there are many people who have simply given up on voting altogether because they know that it is very unlikely that they are ever going to get fair representation because they do not support the major parties.

AV wasn't perfect but I think it would have been a step in the right direction in righting a few of the wrongs in our current political system.

But now it seems we are stuck with this shower for the foreseeable - a depressing thought to me.

Can I pay with my 1991 pound or the 1992 pound? Black Wednesday cut the value of the latter. ;)

Black Wednesday losses totalled about £2.4 billion. Brown's taxes stole twice that from our pension funds every year. Even so his debt burden was still £1300 billion. Inflation can't explain that.

Labour chose not to pursue a coalition.

No they didn't. There were "talks", but liebore didn't want to look like a party "hanging on to power".

This has been pointed out many times before on here.

Don't complain about government if you can't be bothered to vote:(

I doubt that it's that people can't be bothered to vote, simply that doing so is pretty pointless if you view all the candidates as parasitic cretins:D.

Archived