Supermarket checkouts and longer queues, what happened, and why ?

Another problem is that the person manning the till will sometimes do the packing thus taking time away from scanning

Correct. It only works if the supermarkets make someone available to help pack at every till. And that was never going to be the case.

We want our divided checkouts back !

And whilst we`re at it, we want our packing tables back as well !

I thought supermarkets were supposed to be responsive to their customers ......

Went to B and Q last night. The queues were terrible. Self-scan was moving pretty quickly though. I try to avoid self-scanning as far as possible, if they want me to be a checkout operator, they should pay me.

B and Q charge an absolute premium for much of their goods, it's not on that you then have to queue for ages.

How very quaint. Here is link to my local Asda's opening times:

http://opening-times.co.uk/asda-leith

Having been in the local Tesco's at daft o'clock on a Sunday morning I can say there are generally only 3 types of shoppers at that time:

1. Drunks on thei way home.

2. Dopeheads with the munchies.

3. Policemen.

Which one were you then? :huh:

I was at Sainsbury's on Crookes the other day. There was only one member of staff on checkout but I wasn't worried as the old lady in front of me getting checked out only had a loaf of bread in her basket. Doddle, I thought! ... WRONG!

After carefully placing her bread in her tartan bag on wheels and with a handle, she then produced an old till receipt. She was questioning a previous purchase.

The till girl then had to call for the manager. This took probably a minute, by which time a queue was forming. The manager and the till attendant then spent probably another couple of minutes talking to the old lady who didn't seem to want to shut up. (queue building up even more)

The till attendant then disappeared down the aisles and came back with a tin of cat food (I think) and gave it to her which she then carefully stowed into her magic bag on wheels. Thereupon, paperwork was filled out by the manager who was giving a tutorial to the check out girl on how to do it. Another minute! (Queue getting very big by this time) Thereupon a conversation was had between the old lady and the manager with the till girl joining in when appropriate. In the end the old lady was given a refund ... 78p!

I immediately did two things ... I decided to hate the old lady and I hate the manager (in equal amounts) The till girl nearly entered into the hating process but she was quite pretty. God knows why the manager didn't call for extra staff to sort out the Queue! God knows why the old lady was so dilatory!

This all took around 5 minutes and caused a long and extremely cross queue!

I missed my bus! :rant:

Maybe I`ve been unclear. The checkouts are still manned, it`s just that the bit on the far side of the checkout girl, where the products are pushed after being checked through, is a bit smaller than it used to be, and, critically, has no divider on it to allow the next customer to be served whilst the previous one is still packing. Instead all the people in the queue have to wait, for no good reason. It seems that Tesco/Morrisons/Asda don`t value my time at all, which rather annoys me......

OMG I wished I had your life if thats all that worries you !

do your shopping online it will save you 60% on your shopping bill cus your not tempted to buy things you dont want?

Not for me, it doesn't. A lot of the 'value/basics' ranges I buy are simply not available online, presumably, as they can't make as much, so don't want the van space taking up with them! Also, anything like fruit, veg, flowers, are not worth having, if the store have 'chosen' them for you, I've noticed.

Dividers are gone because all supermarket owners have the delusion that everyone in the country drives a car. Trolley taken to car and unpacked in there.

To avoid the mad rush of packing your bags on the end of the till; put it all back in the trolley (a la mr "I have a car so ner ner ner") take trolley to a corner and pack your stuff there.

OMG I wished I had your life if thats all that worries you !

Maybe you like queing ?

Maybe you have the time to indulge your pleasure ?

If so I envy you.

I hate it. Quite apart from anything else I`ve got loads of other things to do with my time. Queueing is bad enough in itself, a queue is, by definition, an example of inefficiency, but to queue longer than I actually need to do, is very annoying.