Supermarket checkouts and longer queues, what happened, and why ?

A What happens if you haven`t got a trolley ?

B I`ve never seen anyone with a trolley just put everything in and "bag it up" somewhere else. Quite apart from anything else these days most supermarkets seem to have got rid of their packing tables.

This issue has been hanging over you since may last year?

Even the people with cars pack all the groceries into bags at the till ! I can`t actually remember ever seeing anyone putting all their groceries (unpacked) straight into the trolley, and for good reason. As someone mentioned above, they`ve nicked the packing tables as well......

Thats what annoys me those slow packers.

Don't spend so long at the checkout,packing all the items,then dawdle even longer paying for the items.:rant:

Surely 'shopping habit' comes into it?

When we moved last year, we emptied our house in Bavaria, When we cane back tis summer, we had tro re-furnish it.

I have 2 houses. One has a humongous fridge/freezer, the other has an 8 cu ft fridge freezer.

There are only 2 of us (and 2 dogs.) In Germany, i shop every day or two. I buy enough food to last a couple of days (so I din't need a huge fridge/freezer.) I get fresh food (which tastes pretty good) and nothing dies and grows hairs [or interesting cultures] in the back of the fridge. I walk to the shops.

I'm now (it's winter) back in the US. The nearest shop is 5 mile away and I'm having to re-learn 'bulk buying'. I don't much like it, either.

Sheffield claims to be 'the biggest village in the UK'. - If you live in a village, why don't you shop locally, buy by the day (or two days, if you want to plan ahead) and eat fresh food?

On further reflection some people can be excluded from my last comment of course ,because they have an excusable reason for being slow,and they're is nothing worse then impatient grumpy people standing behind them in the queue.

I agree with the earlier poster though who said they're should be more tables and space for shoppers who have several items to pack afterwards,also more seating should be available for the disabled and elderly.

• 3 years later...
Here`s a picture of one, they still use them abroad. This picture was taken in Spain, which is somewhat ironic as they`re infamous for the Mañana culture. Yet it`s us in the country who appear to be less bothered about wasting time, or, more accurately, the cretin supermarket manager who came up with the idea of dispensing with the flipper type checkout..... Edited by Justin Smith

Surely 'shopping habit' comes into it?

When we moved last year, we emptied our house in Bavaria, When we cane back tis summer, we had tro re-furnish it.

I have 2 houses. One has a humongous fridge/freezer, the other has an 8 cu ft fridge freezer.

There are only 2 of us (and 2 dogs.) In Germany, i shop every day or two. I buy enough food to last a couple of days (so I din't need a huge fridge/freezer.) I get fresh food (which tastes pretty good) and nothing dies and grows hairs [or interesting cultures] in the back of the fridge. I walk to the shops.

I'm now (it's winter) back in the US. The nearest shop is 5 mile away and I'm having to re-learn 'bulk buying'. I don't much like it, either.

Sheffield claims to be 'the biggest village in the UK'. - If you live in a village, why don't you shop locally, buy by the day (or two days, if you want to plan ahead) and eat fresh food?

Twice in the US I have seen people dump their shopping on the floor and walk out because of the queue when all the checkouts have not been in use. I don't blame them. I have never seen it happen here though. Yet.

Edited by spilldig