R.A.C. refuse to help - they said I was too close to home (but I wasn't)

When the track rod end went on my car recently I rang the RAC (roadside & recovery membership). I have been with them a few years and never called them out before. Told them the problem and where I was only to be told they wouldn’t come out to me as I was too close to home! Seems I needed Homestart on my membership as I was ‘within a quarter of a mile from home’.

I argued about the distance to be informed they were using the computer as they do for all breakdowns. Fortunately, it was the afternoon and a neighbour with a car repair business was at work and sent his tow truck out for me.

I arrived home, checked on the RAC Route Planner to find, using the fastest route option, I had been over half a mile away from home! Having phoned RAC Customer Services to complain, they have apologised, offered to pay for the tow and .... suggested maybe the guy who took my emergency call was using the ‘as the crow flies’ way of checking my distance from home.

So there you have it folks. You’re paying anything up to about £100 to a relay service that when you call them might just be checking how far you are from home ‘as the crow flies’. This is OK if your car has wings I guess .......

PS RAC are very surprised as I will not be renewing my membership with them this month .... :loopy:

So there you have it folks. You’re paying anything up to about £100 to a relay service that when you call them might just be checking how far you are from home ‘as the crow flies’. This is OK if your car has wings I guess .......

I think the point your missing is that you didn't pay for a service they offer and your upset that they declined to give it you for free.

I got a huge nail in my tyre at meadowhall a week ago, the RAC were with me within 8 minutes, changed wheel and I was on my way.

But then you see, i'd paid for it.

I think the point your missing is that you didn't pay for a service they offer and your upset that they declined to give it you for free.

I got a huge nail in my tyre at meadowhall a week ago, the RAC were with me within 8 minutes, changed wheel and I was on my way.

I had to phone them few weeks ago - with me in 5 mins. Fixed in 5 mins. Not bad for £35 a year.

To quote from the OP: "they have apologised, offered to pay for the tow and .... suggested maybe the guy who took my emergency call was using the ‘as the crow flies’ way of checking my distance from home"

Just the kind of thing a profit making organisation would do to a non-customer who hadn't paid for the service they were offering! :rolleyes:

I don't understand those complaining at the OP.

If I understood correctly, he is saying he was far enough away from home to mean that the recovery cover he had paid for should have been provided. However, the RAC didn't provide it because they claimed he was too close to home. Later they accepted that he was right, and they weren't.

What has he done wrong?

Edit: Sorry, not "those", there was only one, I'd read it in quotes as well, and saw it as another post.

The point is they did and RAC guy got distance wrong otherwise why would RAC pay for tow truck? I am not against RAC, I have been member for years and they are great but not infallible, they can make mistakes:D

The point is they did and RAC guy got distance wrong otherwise why would RAC pay for tow truck? I am not against RAC, I have been member for years and they are great but not infallible, they can make mistakes:D

Indeed they can, as can I, my apologies to the OP, I misread the original post :)

Archived