Addicting or addictive?

Over the past few months I have noticed the use of the word addicting on more and more sites I visit. At first I thought it was just a grammar error but I have since seen the word is real.

I thought of no better place than here to ask about word play. Do you use the word addicting or addictive? Is it me who's wrong in my use of addictive. I find cigarettes addictive not addicting.

Could one of you lot explain when and if addicting should be used please?

It sounds so wrong but I've noticed Microsoft recently use it in a game promo and that really did worry me.

Is it more of an American word?

I thought addicting was something that happened whilst doing something addictive, and addictive is when describing the thing that's addicting..

And if you can make head or tail of that, good luck!

I thought addicting was something that happened whilst doing something addictive, and addictive is when describing the thing that's addicting..

And if you can make head or tail of that, good luck!

They used the term "Addicting games". It just doesn't sound right.

I would also say that something was addictive. Not heard anyone use addicting in replacement to be honest.

I guess it's like 'Joe Bloggs hanged himself'. Naturally, I want to say 'Joe Bloggs HUNG himself' as it flows better, but I know it's wrong.

Addictive is traditionally correct. The use of language does change over time.

For Betty's benefit, I shall mention that "hung" is the correct word to use of any object except for a human being. I don't know why humans are described as being hanged instead; perhaps to point out that it means killing them, not just putting them on a hook for storage.

Addictive is traditionally correct. The use of language does change over time.

For Betty's benefit, I shall mention that "hung" is the correct word to use of any object except for a human being. I don't know why humans are described as being hanged instead; perhaps to point out that it means killing them, not just putting them on a hook for storage.

Thank you - although that was the point I was making! :hihi:

Archived