What people fancy changing their accent?

I love the Scottish accent and always have more confidence when I hear a Scottish accent on a helpline.

One of my first jobs in South Yorkshire in the late 70s was on the phones for the old 'gas board'. That was in the days of anonymity, when people didn't give their names, but I was instantly recognised because of my Scots accent. Customers used to say they liked how it sounded. And, because my accent isn't broad Scots I've never had a problem being understood.

My children have northern English accents, but because neither my husband or I do (he's a southerner), and because they have both lived out of the area (one still does) they wouldn't immediately be recognised as having grown up in Donny. :o

A Sheffield accent is fine - my best friend has one. :thumbsup: That doesn't mean she doesn't use grammar or pronounce her words properly though. ;)

One of my first jobs in South Yorkshire in the late 70s was on the phones for the old 'gas board'. That was in the days of anonymity, when people didn't give their names, but I was instantly recognised because of my Scots accent. Customers used to say they liked how it sounded. And, because my accent isn't broad Scots I've never had a problem being understood.

My children have northern English accents, but because neither my husband or I do (he's a southerner), and because they have both lived out of the area (one still does) they wouldn't immediately be recognised as having grown up in Donny. :o

A Sheffield accent is fine - my best friend has one. :thumbsup: That doesn't mean she doesn't use grammar or pronounce her words properly though. ;)

Scottish people on the phone are just so efficient,quick and polite.

Sport figures are able to keep the accent of where they've brought up, no matter how famous they've become, like Steven Gerrard and John Parrott. Many TV/film/music celebrities give up their local accent, like Julie Walters, Paul and Ringo of Beatles.

As a kid I was brought up in New Zealand and when I came to England I had a strong KIWI accent, at first it was a novelty when people said I like your accent but after a few years I got fed up of being picked on for my accent,so I started talking with a Yorkshire accent it was quite easy to do as my Dad came from Sheffield I now sound like a real native, but the first time I talk to any one from NZ my accent snaps strait back into full KIWI.

The accent I hate the most is American! It's very unpleasant and horrible!!

ALL American accents? Seriously?

I mean I could understand hating on a Texas accent or South Boston one, but ALL? Wow.

I mean I grew up on Long Island and the accent of most of the people I grew up with (South Shore LI) I cant stand, but prefer to listen to the accent of those who grew up on the North Shore (and theres only 18 miles between the areas!)

People from Connecticut lack any accent and its just flat. While, next door, Rhode Islanders sound every bit like Peter on Family Guy (though Seth McFarland is from Massachusetts...)

There is no american accent;the southern drawl of Alabama is miles away from the twang of the Bronx.If you are a student of English I should consider changing to a subject where your own voice will be less exposed to scrutiny.

:thumbsup:

BTW my accent is changing, its evolving - which I suppose a lot of people do when they move to different areas. They dont change, they adapt. After 6 yrs here I still sound VERY American (only sound like a NY'er when drunk..) and now have inflects of Yorkshire in my accent.

Don't know why Brits are so obsessed with accents, their own and others, don't like this, hate that, don't like the way they sound, why would anyone want to hide their accent...I don't know of one person that says they hate their own accent or somone elses , it must be a snobbish thing that the middle class get concerned over as to what people think.:huh:

Both me and OH are native Sheffielders and after we got married we moved down to Plymouth where I was based with the Royal Navy. After managing to ensure that my wife was in Sheffield for the birth of my kids the eldest then started primary school in Plymouth. In no time at all he had picked up the Plymouth accent so I quickly bought a house in Sheffield and moved us back up north! Meant that I was only home at weekends but at least I wouldn't have to put up with the accent :hihi:

Archived