Advice on problems at work

Im seeking advice for a problem regarding breaks at work

Today i was working a 7.5 hour shift in which i am allowed a 45mins break taken when manager gives permission.

By about 9pm it became apparent i wasn't going to get a break - short staffed complied with higher sales.

As a response to this i left without permission an hour early. This was after 6.5 hours.

The reason why i left was because i believed my employment rights were being broken both in terms of the European Working Time directive and in terms of the young workers rights (seen as im 17).

My question would be was I in the right to walk out and where should i go from here - (presuming that disciplinary action will be taken)?

Thanks

The response was sometimes these things happen and a lecture about working as a team
If that was the case then i would be asking to see if you get say an extra half hours or forty five mins pay for what you have worked although i would not have walked out. If it was a regular occurrence then you have grievance.

ok, as a manager myself, i would expect an employee to inform me of their intentions to leave work and just walking out is a health and safety issue. had there had been a fire and persons re entered the property because you were no where to be found. You do have to take the break because of your age and it is the responsibilty of your manager to ensure that you take it. however, there will be times where its extremely busy and there are staffing issues where attention may well be away from you taking your break and so it would be courtious to ask for it. if you had the courage to walk out, why did you not have the courage to ask for the break. i can see both side but i would consider walking out as awol.

it is about working as a team but as you stated there is a legislation to be followed. have you ever been put in a position where you are extremely short staffed, stress levels are high and customers are complaining. it aint good for a manager either!

ok, as a manager myself, i would expect an employee to inform me of their intentions to leave work and just walking out is a health and safety issue. had there had been a fire and persons re entered the property because you were no where to be found. You do have to take the break because of your age and it is the responsibilty of your manager to ensure that you take it. however, there will be times where its extremely busy and there are staffing issues where attention may well be away from you taking your break and so it would be courtious to ask for it. if you had the courage to walk out, why did you not have the courage to ask for the break. i can see both side but i would consider walking out as awol.

I did inform the manager about why i was walking out 30 mins before i walked out. And i did on several occasions ask for my break. Everyone else got theres. We had the minimum number of staff on but why should that mean people can take breaks.

Archived