Advice on problems at work

it is about working as a team but as you stated there is a legislation to be followed. have you ever been put in a position where you are extremely short staffed, stress levels are high and customers are complaining. it aint good for a manager either!

Absolutely. I made it clear to her that i had nothing against her by walking out just that laws in place to protect me were being broken. I feel for her i really do but this is a regular thing and im getting sick of it

I did inform the manager about why i was walking out 30 mins before i walked out. And i did on several occasions ask for my break. Everyone else got theres. We had the minimum number of staff on but why should that mean people can take breaks.
Could there be a bit of victimisation going on in the work place:suspect:

Did you at least tell your manager you were leaving without permission or did you just vanish.

You are totally in the right that you should have got your break but just walking out will not go down well. They may use the line that if there was a fire they could have been looking for you which would have put others at risk.

I would stand strong and if you are in a union speak to your rep. Turn up for your next shift as scheduled and see what happens. If they call you in to a meeting then explain your version of events but don't admit you are in the wrong. Also I would not let the manager that was on the shift whilst you walked out do any meetings with you about it as you should have an independent manager look at the incident from both sides.

What ever happens in future I would always clearly highlight to a manager at the time you have not had your break as scheduled and should they take no action then follow your companies grievance procedure.

Any employer has a duty to a minor........which is what the OP is.

There are rules and regulations in place to protect youngsters from being exploited and in my opinion that's exactly whats happened in this case.

The OP has been exploited and it isn't on. It isn't the business of the employee as to whether the staffing levels are low or the business is busy. The OP said this is a regular occurance anyhow. Team work is a phrase often trotted out to make an employee feel guilty for asking for their rights........if team work applied in this case then the OP would have got their legal break.

Unfortunately I think you made a big mistake by just walking out. Having said that, you are also young and just finding your way in life.

I'm not sure just what sort of legal protection you might have here should it come to a disciplinary hearing. I suppose a lot depends on whether you are part time/temporary or full time. Also a lot will reflect on how the company views your input to them.

Bear in mind also that your manager has been taking advantage of you so you definately do have a reasonable complaint there.

If I was you I would turn up as normal and take it from there.

Good luck anyhow. You sound like a sensible and well educated young person and hopefully your employer will take that into account.

My question would be was I in the right to walk out and where should i go from here - (presuming that disciplinary action will be taken)?

If you want to be a workplace lawyer thats all well and good but do consider its an employers market right now, walking out without permission could be classed as you just quit your job.

No, im not suggesting you just roll over and take all the **** they throw at you but there usualy has to be a bit of give and take in any job (extra pay, come late the next time or go early for a full shifts pay), if there isn't then start a grievance.

Personaly I would appologise for walking out and use that conversation to express concerns and give the manager a chance to improve the situation (youve allready made it clear your not a doormat by walking out)

Walking out really isnt the way to deal with the situation..... even though i've done it twice myself, lol

Hell, I'm sorry, I don't know what your rights are to be honest, but I'd just like to say that I am SO impressed by the content, style, and tone of your posts, and for a 17 year old!!!! I wish there were more young people like you.

It sounds like your employer was pushing it, and you did well to stand up for yourself, in my opinion. Good luck!!

I've worked 15 years without overtime and very few lunch breaks, just get on with it. I'm not in a manual job and appreciate those in manual jobs need to rest physically but no doubt the fact your company was busy and short staffed will be used against you as its all about team work, however if its becoming a regular occurance then you need to have a work with your employer, maybe going higher than your manager. I doubt they'll sack you after all the law is on your side, you're entitled to breaks. If I was you i'd turn up as normal for your next shift and see whats happens, chances are your boss will say nothing.

Archived