"Slutwalks" in N. America

What to wear  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear

• Women should wear what they want
    • Women should be more careful what they wear

I've already stated that a rapist wouldn't take any notice of what the victim was wearing, they're criminals..

I suspect you are assuming a rapist to be a middle-aged man in the bushes wearing a gimp mask whereas he is more likely to be a young man in a pub wearing a suit who has been buying a woman drinks all night and decides to take things a bit further as she 'owes' him.

These men certainly don't see themselves as criminals, a view which is shared by a, luckily diminishing, number of people in the judicial system.

Dressing like a 'slut' is unlikely to make you more vulnerable to a sexual attack but it may make it more likely that your attacker is acquitted of the attack.

John X

I'm going to tell you a story about what ACTUALLY happened to me.

I was going out with some friends a number of years ago, and we downed several tequila shots before leaving the house.

we went to a pub in Fitzroy (inner city Melbourne) to see some bands. We continued drinking quite heavily.

I was feeling quite woozy and decided to take a walk.

I sat in a park for some time, then went back to the pub just as a friends band was coming on stage.

The next day, there was a police report on the news looking for anyone who was in that particular park the previous night as a girl had been raped and murdered there. They estimated the time of death to be about 10:30pm. I asked my friend what time their band went on. He said 10pm.

I was in shock that I could have been that girl. The rapist/murderer could have been looking at me to be his intended victim.

Maybe he didn't arrive until just after I'd left.

Maybe I passed him in the street

Maybe the fact I was wearing a long skirt, a long sleeved black top, and boots that made the differece - I don't know.

Maybe if the victim had been wearing more than she was, she would have escaped his notice too. Maybe, maybe not.(the cops showed a dummy with what she'd been wearing to prompt peoples memories)

I cant say I am happy it happened to someone else, but I sure am happy it wasn't me.

I suspect you are assuming a rapist to be a middle-aged man in the bushes wearing a gimp mask whereas he is more likely to be a young man in a pub wearing a suit who has been buying a woman drinks all night and decides to take things a bit further as she 'owes' him.

These men certainly don't see themselves as criminals, a view which is shared by a, luckily diminishing, number of people in the judicial system.

Dressing like a 'slut' is unlikely to make you more vulnerable to a sexual attack but it may make it more likely that your attacker is acquitted of the attack.

John X

I reckon most rapes are committed by men who the women know. I also feel many are committed within a family but never go to court. You seem to have a very low opinion of men.

I reckon most rapes are committed by men who the women know. I also feel many are committed within a family but never go to court. You seem to have a very low opinion of men.

Frank, John X doesn't have a low opinion of anyone (that I have ever noticed, anyway) :)

Only those who rape and those who <REMOVED> it off as just a bit of fun.

John X

I don't think anyone would do that. Unless you mean me? Mmmm, that's a little unfair, a little below the belt, a little bit desperate one feels. Oh well..:D

Ask the office in post 1..

I would if he was posting here, but he isn't. However you are posting here, and you made the claim ...

But now lets get back to reality, the woman above would be far more likely to be sexually harassed / assaulted than a woman in a trouser suit.

So some evidence for this claim would be useful. I am skeptical of the claim.

I would if he was posting here, but he isn't. However you are posting here, and you made the claim ...

So some evidence for this claim would be useful. I am skeptical of the claim.

Walk down West St on a Saturday night...

Archived