"Slutwalks" in N. America

What to wear  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear

• Women should wear what they want
    • Women should be more careful what they wear

Incidentally, what exactly is this 'slutty' dressing that Frank and the police officer would like to warn women away from? Where would they like to draw the line in the sand, and tell us what is appropriate?

I was in Meadowhall today, it was pretty quiet, but since it was a nice sunny afternoon there was a lot of female skin on display. Plenty of cleavages and short skirts, but mainly on middle class women out shopping before doing the school run. With this conversation in mind, I recall thinking to myself that none of these ladies could be considered 'slutty' despite wearing very little. I guess it's not just the clothes, it's who is wearing them, and where they are being worn.

A police officer giving warnings not to wear 'sluttish' clothing really is misogynistic nonsense. But the same clothes can look totally different on different women, so not only is the 'advice' sexist, it could also be sizest as well. "If you're flat chested, fine wear that low cut dress, but if you've got big boobs hide them away you brazen hussy"

:huh:

Incidentally, what exactly is this 'slutty' dressing that Frank and the police officer would like to warn women away from? Where would they like to draw the line in the sand, and tell us what is appropriate?

I was in Meadowhall today, it was pretty quiet, but since it was a nice sunny afternoon there was a lot of female skin on display. Plenty of cleavages and short skirts, but mainly on middle class women out shopping before doing the school run. With this conversation in mind, I recall thinking to myself that none of these ladies could be considered 'slutty' despite wearing very little. I guess it's not just the clothes, it's who is wearing them, and where they are being worn.

A police officer giving warnings not to wear 'sluttish' clothing really is misogynistic nonsense. But the same clothes can look totally different on different women, so not only is the 'advice' sexist, it could also be sizest as well. "If you're flat chested, fine wear that low cut dress, but if you've got big boobs hide them away you brazen hussy"

:huh:

I've also been to Meadowhall tonight and didn't see anyone like that. I think you are being a little creative there. Women out shopping in Meadowhall don't dress like 18 yr olds out on the town..

I've also been to Meadowhall tonight and didn't see anyone like that. I think you are being a little creative there. Women out shopping in Meadowhall don't dress like 18 yr olds out on the town..

The women don't, but the kids certainly do. Although probably not so much now that the games arcade has gone.

I've also been to Meadowhall tonight and didn't see anyone like that.

Maybe because you were there after the sun had gone down.

Quisquose was there this afternoon

....before doing the school run.

Daytime: hot and sunny -short skirts and cleavage.

Nightime: wet and chilly -hats and coats

John X

Well yes, tonight it's peeing down and cold.

This afternoon it was sunny and warm.

So it seems to be all about the possibility of an attack and dressing to avoid one, how can you live your life like that? Avoiding possibilities - you may do it nine times out of ten and then just once you may have your mind on something else

Is a mini skirt sluttish, is a crop top sluttish?

Which items of clothing are considered sluttish, what if you just happen to get a ladder in your tights? Better to remove them and risk being more sluttish:help:

Maybe because you were there after the sun had gone down.

Quisquose was there this afternoon

Daytime: hot and sunny -short skirts and cleavage.

Nightime: wet and chilly -hats and coats

John X

It was about 7.00. But come on you don't think women on the school run dress the same as a bunch of girls out on the lash. Not even you can spin that one...:suspect:

It was about 7.00. But come on you don't think women on the school run dress the same as a bunch of girls out on the lash. Not even you can spin that one...:suspect:

Nobody is saying they do.

I was just pointing out that what you saw and quisquose saw would be tempered by the time of day.

John X

Archived