"Slutwalks" in N. America

What to wear  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear

• Women should wear what they want
    • Women should be more careful what they wear

I'm not a fan of the slutwalk idea - I think it dangerously conflates ideas of vulnerability and culpability. Everyone is well aware that what you wear affects how your are perceived, judged and responded to by others. If you dress as a slut then you are making yourself vulnerable to attack by people who perceive you as a slut but it does not make you culpable for any attack. In an ideal world you should be able to dress how you wish and it have no effect on how others perceive and respond to you but this world is considerably less than ideal. That being the case isn't it reasonable to take a pragmatic view and try and minimize your vulnerability? As far as I can see don't go out dressed like a slut falls into the same realm of advice as carry a rape alarm, take a self-defence course and don't walk through bad parts of town on your own in the early hours of the morning, i.e. sensible.

Its called Class you either have it or you don't. Oh and you can't buy it. You don't have to flash the flesh to look attractive. FML shoes and your Mertol on show is a look best left for the bedroom not West street. You know who you are Slappers.

[...] That being the case isn't it reasonable to take a pragmatic view and try and minimize your vulnerability? As far as I can see don't go out dressed like a slut falls into the same realm of advice as carry a rape alarm, take a self-defence course and don't walk through bad parts of town on your own in the early hours of the morning, i.e. sensible.

Whenever I see sensible advice like this on how to minimise the risks of sexual assault, I think of this picture.

In case anyone doesn't want to click the link, it contains some AMAZINGLY INSIGHTFUL ways to prevent sexual assault:

1. Don't put drugs in people's drinks to control their behaviour.

2. When you see someone walking by themselves, leave them alone.

3. If you pull over to help someone with car problems, remember not to assault them.

4. NEVER open an unlocked door or window uninvited.

5. If you are in an elevator and someone else gets in, DO NOT assault them.

6. Use the buddy system. If you are not able to stop yourself from assaulting people, ask a friend to stay with you while you're in public.

7. Always be honest with people! Don't pretend to be a caring friend in order to gain the trust of someone you want to assault. Consider telling them you plan to assault them. If you do not communicate your intentions, the other person may take that as a sign that you do not intend to assault them.

8. Don't forget you can't have sex with someone unless they are awake!

9. Carry a whistle! If you're worried you might assault someone ''accidentally'', you can hand it to the person you're with so they can blow it if you do.

10. DON'T ASSAULT PEOPLE.

As soon as officials start advising people to stay out of an area, then it's the start of the end imho.

The cops don't adfvise me to keep out of an area,I do it myself,touch wood 56 and never been mugged but there are certain places in Sheffield I will not walk after dark.

Lived in Sao Paulo for 3 months and I was always told not to go in 90% of the areas even in the day,don't wear nice jewellry and clothes or they'll get stolen,I heeded the advice and was ok.

Whenever I see sensible advice like this on how to minimise the risks of sexual assault, I think of this picture.

In case anyone doesn't want to click the link, it contains some AMAZINGLY INSIGHTFUL ways to prevent sexual assault:

1. Don't put drugs in people's drinks to control their behaviour.

2. When you see someone walking by themselves, leave them alone.

3. If you pull over to help someone with car problems, remember not to assault them.

4. NEVER open an unlocked door or window uninvited.

5. If you are in an elevator and someone else gets in, DO NOT assault them.

6. Use the buddy system. If you are not able to stop yourself from assaulting people, ask a friend to stay with you while you're in public.

7. Always be honest with people! Don't pretend to be a caring friend in order to gain the trust of someone you want to assault. Consider telling them you plan to assault them. If you do not communicate your intentions, the other person may take that as a sign that you do not intend to assault them.

8. Don't forget you can't have sex with someone unless they are awake!

9. Carry a whistle! If you're worried you might assault someone ''accidentally'', you can hand it to the person you're with so they can blow it if you do.

10. DON'T ASSAULT PEOPLE.

Once again your conflating vulnerability and culpability. If a woman is dressed as a "slut" she is not inviting assault nor culpable if it happens but she may well be making herself more vulnerable to assault. As I said in my post yes in an ideal world you should be able to wear what you want and no-one react to it inappropriately but we are not living in anything close to an ideal world. If you choose to dress as a "slut" than that is how people will perceive you and in some maladjusted cases this means they may attack you. You cannot control how other people react to you but you can mitigate it somewhat by the way you present yourself. And before anyone jumps to a sexist attack this is equally applicable to men. And no this doesn't mean you should cover up at all times - there are times and situations when dressing as a "slut" is perfectly normal and there are other times when it is just not terribly safe or sensible.

There's a big difference between doing something yourself after reasoning it out, and being told by an official that that is what you should do, don't you think?

From what I've read in the case which started off all this slut walks no-one was told what they should or shouldn't do. A bunch of college students was being given a private safety talk by a police officer and it was pointed out that dressing like a slut may make you more vulnerable to assault and to be aware of this; not that you shouldn't or mustn't dress in that manner. I fail to see how this is unreasonable safety advice.

I don't think she'd confused anything, the point of the text was to highlight the fact that it's the person who commits the assault that is responsible for committing assault. Something which seems to be partly forgotten when police officers are telling women what they should do in order to avoid being assaulted.

And is it only me that is finding characterising anyone as dressing like a slut uncomfortable? Dressing in a way that emphasises a woman's sexuality doesn't mean she's about to go out and have sex with strangers for money.

From what I've read in the case which started off all this slut walks no-one was told what they should or shouldn't do. A bunch of college students was being given a private safety talk by a police officer and it was pointed out that dressing like a slut may make you more vulnerable to assault and to be aware of this; not that you shouldn't or mustn't dress in that manner. I fail to see how this is unreasonable safety advice.

Even if it were valid advice, if he used those words then he's part of the problem, not part of the solution. (See my previous post).

It's a while since this thread started, but I don't remember him using the words "more vulnerable", I think it was more along the lines of "Don't dress like a slut and you're less likely to be attacked".

Archived