"Slutwalks" in N. America

What to wear  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear

• Women should wear what they want
    • Women should be more careful what they wear

OK some evidence - I have worn a kilt to a nightclub and during the night got any number of women without any introduction or request putting their hands up it to see if I was wearing it "Scottish fashion". This would obviously never have happened if I hadn't been wearing a kilt so clothing obviously does alter the way you are perceived and responded to. Do you presume that men are much more civilised than women and a woman wearing a pelmet masquerading as a skirt might not be on the receiving end of similar behaviour.

Indeed. I have seen many many women get their short skirts lifted up on a night out by men. The reason? These men are idiots, and the women were wearing extremely short skirts. The women that covered up a bit more didn't have this problem.

Well it's you that's making the claim, what women wear can provoke an assault.

I've made the claim that how you dress and deport yourself can affect how people react and respond to you. That much is obviously true otherwise no-one would bother wearing a suit to an interview. Face it - how you act largely determines how people will respond to you. It's not nice or fair but that's the way it is. And some people will take scanty / slutty clothing as an invite (the "she was asking for it" response") however this does not mean that the wearer has provoked a response but has become more vulnerable to a particular response.

I've made the claim that how you dress and deport yourself can affect how people react and respond to you. That much is obviously true otherwise no-one would bother wearing a suit to an interview. Face it - how you act largely determines how people will respond to you. It's not nice or fair but that's the way it is. And some people will take scanty / slutty clothing as an invite (the "she was asking for it" response") however this does not mean that the wearer has provoked a response but has has become more vulnerable to a particular response.

:nod: A woman should be able to walk down the street wearing a Bikini, or a nun's habit/ burqa, or any variation of clothing between those two extremes.

Whatever it is she is wearing, does not say "it is open-season " on her body.

:nods: A woman should be able to walk down the street wearing a Bikini, or a nun's habit/ burqa, or any variation of clothing between those two extremes.

Whatever it is she is wearing, does not say "it is open-season " on her body.

The operative word here is should. Unfortunately there are some really crappy people around who will take a sliver of flesh as "open season" and to try and deny they exist is really quite foolish!

Ermmmm no not at all...

Yep, they will. Because they were given sensible advice and ignored it.

They'll get a big fat helping of I told you so. Which in the case of the climber will presumably be posthumously.

Do you want women to be safe or not?

Presumably we all want everyone to be safe.

We also want everyone to be free to wear what they like.

The two desires are not incompatible, and so when a public figure advises that the second must be sacrificed to achieve the first we don't like it.

Thats only the case if you believe that looking 'like a slut' makes you more likely to be raped. I personally think the onlys thing that makes you more likely to be raped are

a) keeping company with rapists

b) being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm asking you what you think. Not difficult really. You don't need evidence in order to think.

On the other hand, if you think, you'll want evidence before forming an opinion. Not difficult to understand really.

The operative word here is should. Unfortunately there are some really crappy people around who will take a sliver of flesh as "open season" and to try and deny they exist is really quite foolish!

You repeated this several times now, is there actually any evidence that suggests that sexual assault is made more likely by the manner of dress?

Yep, they will. Because they were given sensible advice and ignored it.

They'll get a big fat helping of I told you so. Which in the case of the climber will presumably be posthumously.

By some maybe - if they are callous enough. If a mother decides not to take folic acid supplements and has a baby with a neural tube defect it will be treated as the tragedy it is not as the mothers fault. Folic acid can mitigate risk not eliminate it. You can't eliminate all risk but you can choose to take sensible advice to mitigate it - and that's what this advice was.

You repeated this several times now, is there actually any evidence that suggests that sexual assault is made more likely by the manner of dress?

From a previous post:

OK some evidence - I have worn a kilt to a nightclub and during the night got any number of women without any introduction or request putting their hands up it to see if I was wearing it "Scottish fashion". This would obviously never have happened if I hadn't been wearing a kilt so clothing obviously does alter the way you are perceived and responded to.

Technically anyone who put their hand up that kilt without express invitation to check on whether I had pants on or not was committing sexual assault. The only reason it took place was because of what I was wearing. Ergo what you wear can increase the likelihood of sexual assault.

Archived