"Slutwalks" in N. America

What to wear  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear

• Women should wear what they want
    • Women should be more careful what they wear

Be interesting if we could hear the views of sexual predators on this...

There is plenty of research on the views of criminal sexual predators.

For example:

http://yesmeansyesblog.wordpress.com/2009/11/12/meet-the-predators/

So we can consider facts like that six out of seven rapes are committed by someone the victim knows, and only 4% of convicted rapists can even remember what the person they raped was wearing, and wonder how relevant clothing really is.

A sexual predator is more likely to prey on and exploit the insecure and vulnerable rather than someone who is wearing a short skirt or tight trousers.

There is a valid argument that the more 'slutily' a woman dresses, the safer she is!

Most cases of rape are about power and control rather than sex, and many perpetrators are both sexually and socially inadequate who would be more likely to run from a sexily dressed and confident woman.

John X

The first choice in the poll is “Women should wear what they want”.

It is such a statement of obvious truth that there is no need to consider if there is any other option. Even those who have attempted to justify another position say something like “well of course women should be able to wear what they want, but ... “, which still only justifies ticking the first option in the poll.

The second choice in the poll is “Women should be more careful what they wear”.

Frankly, it’s so horribly misogynistic that shame on the 23 that have ticked this option so far.

Evildrneil has eloquently tried to rationalise the second choice by reference to the fact that we do react to people’s appearance, and relate this to mitigating risk. He’s even given us an example of being sexually assaulted in a kilt.

However, I would respond by saying that women are already far more aware of their safety than men because they have to be. Women more than men, understand where they are more safe and where they are less safe. It is always in the back of their heads, something men don’t have to worry about much at all. But no man has the right to attack and violate a woman, no matter what she is wearing, and neither do they have a right to tell them what is safe to wear.

I was sexually assaulted when I was 25. A drunken Xmas party in Swinton, when some unknown girl came and thrust her hand down my trousers and declared, “you know you want it big boy”. Well she was wrong on both counts, and I told her to "$@!& off", which she did. Evildrneil probably told his kilt violators to "$@!& off too", but I have also known a kilt wearer that welcomed the attention it attracted, and he was a director of a FTSE100 company.

It’s obvious that kilts, a short skirt, or a low cut top, attract attention, sometimes welcome, sometimes not, sometimes stupid and offensive. But never in my experience attention that a simple yes, no or $@!& off cannot control.

This has always been about safety, not attention. Safety is compromised when no or "$@!& off" doesn’t work. The police officer made a claim that women’s safety is compromised by what they wear. He was not only perpetuating a misogynistic lie, he was also apportioning blame. This lie possibly makes things worse.

There is a valid argument that the more 'slutily' a woman dresses, the safer she is!

Most cases of rape are about power and control rather than sex, and many perpetrators are both sexually and socially inadequate who would be more likely to run from a sexily dressed and confident woman.

John X

It might seem counter intuitive, but I suspect you are right. Women that dress in a manner that exaggerates their curves are certainly more confident than average. Whilst they might receive more attention, welcome or unwelcome, I wouldn't be surprised if properly undertaken research actually showed that their risk of a violent assault was less than average.

I will only allow evidence to direct me though.

This has always been about safety, not attention. Safety is compromised when no or "$@!& off" doesn’t work. The police officer made a claim that women’s safety is compromised by what they wear. He was not only perpetuating a misogynistic lie, he was also apportioning blame. This lie possibly makes things worse.

I'm afraid I find that to be utter rubbish! He was talking about safety and ameliorating risk - there is nothing misogynistic or apportioning blame about it at all. It's absolutely no different from the safety advice that people get all the time (for example this from the US embassy about reducing the risk of having the contents of your pockets stolen) where no-one bats an eyelid but bring in rape which is infinitely worse than merely losing a few quid and suddenly you are accused of being "misogynistic" and "apportioning blame".

The interesting thing about the whole debate is what does the word 'slut' mean and why is there even a concept of 'slut'. Why can women be sluts, but not men?

Probably this deserves a thread of its own.

The interesting thing about the whole debate is what does the word 'slut' mean and why is there even a concept of 'slut'. Why can women be sluts, but not men?

Probably this deserves a thread of its own.

If you have a key that opens a lot of different locks, then that's a pretty impressive key.

But if you have a lock that can be opened by pretty much any key then it's a pretty crappy lock.

...NOT serious

However, I would respond by saying that women are already far more aware of their safety than men because they have to be. Women more than men, understand where they are more safe and where they are less safe. It is always in the back of their heads, something men don’t have to worry about much at all. But no man has the right to attack and violate a woman, no matter what she is wearing, and neither do they have a right to tell them what is safe to wear.

I'm not sure that this is correct, men are much more likely to be the victim of a violent assault than women, and I suspect that assault takes place much more often than sexual assault.

Archived