"Slutwalks" in N. America

What to wear  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear

• Women should wear what they want
    • Women should be more careful what they wear

All of which are evidence based, and can be equally given to men and women.

None of which are used by an attacker, police officer, defense lawyer or judge, to apportion blame.

We're not talking blame though are we. We're talking about precautions that could prevent rape

We're not talking blame though are we. We're talking about precautions that could prevent rape

The same precautions that a man or woman can take to avoid rape are the same that they can take to avoid any violent assault though.

The reason for the slutwalks, and this thread, is because of the misogynistic view held by some that women, and only women, bring a specific form of violent assault upon themselves if they dress in a certain manner.

The burqa and the chastity belt are the inevitable result within a society that promotes such a viewpoint.

The same precautions that a man or woman can take to avoid rape are the same that they can take to avoid any violent assault though.

The reason for the slutwalks, and this thread, is because of the misogynistic view held by some that women, and only women, bring a specific form of violent assault upon themselves if they dress in a certain manner.

The burqa and the chastity belt are the inevitable result within a society that promotes such a viewpoint.

I think this is a classical example of male hatred personally, a Police Officer gives some sound advice and the feminist sorts are up in arms about it.

They want all the rights and non of the responsibilities. Their motto is I can do whatever I please and everyone else will have to pay the consequences If I can't.

No point bringing the burqa into it unless you are against other cultures.

Do you know the origins of chastity belts why they were used and the last time they were used in any great numbers?

I thought their purpose was to prevent women from getting raped by invaders but you can correct me..

Yes!! Absolutely. We all judge people we see. You can pretend all you want that you're better than that and don't do it but that only shows me that you're a liar.

So when you step out the door you dress to avoid rape or sexual abuse? Of course we/I judge people on how they appear but I don't judge people on how easily I can rape them. As for "liar" you seem upset at something, and the comment was out of order.

Were not talking 'blame'. You didn't ask me who was to blame. You asked what a woman could do to prevent being raped.

You said situations. Rape doesn't have a set criteria. Do you think I have the right to rape you if you enter a bar in Lederhosen with a zip up the back? Or is that your fault?

Of course women have the right to look sluttish. If that's how they wish to express their character and project their inner self good on em, I'll be leering at them as much as the next man... assuming the next man isn't a rapist.

There you go again, projecting your own standards and morality based on what someone wears.

No matter which way you cut it you are apportioning blame to a victim as some sort of defence of the perp. Women are attacked wearing a multitude of different type of clothing of varying degrees. Even Nuns get raped. :roll:

If anyone has ever been to Ice Bar, Kingdom, or anywhere else like that, you will know that a woman wearing a skimpy skirt is a lot more likely to get a stranger's hand up her knickers than anyone else.

Just thought of a great sketch of Sacha Baren Cohen the hetro walkng into a gay bar in his mankini and complaining because he got fondled. :hihi:

There you go again, projecting your own standards and morality based on what someone wears.

No matter which way you cut it you are apportioning blame to a victim as some sort of defence of the perp. Women are attacked wearing a multitude of different type of clothing of varying degrees. Even Nuns get raped. :roll:

So the Police Officer involved in this matter and no doubt years of experience gave some advice on how to prevent being attacked but you know better is that correct?

"Take care of yourself and try not to put yourself in unneccessary danger" is good advice.

"Don't dress like a slut" is terrible advice. The main reason being it is hugely subjective, and puts that qualification in the hands of the men who commit the crime in the first place.

Archived