"Slutwalks" in N. America

What to wear  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear

• Women should wear what they want
    • Women should be more careful what they wear

I think this is a classical example of male hatred personally, a Police Officer gives some sound advice and the feminist sorts are up in arms about it.

Eh? Care to explain the logic of how criticism of the statement made by the police officer equates to 'male hatred'?

It wouldn't matter if the police officer was male or female, the criticism remains the same.

The police officer has apologised for the statement, so is his own criticism of the 'sound advice' he gave 'male hatred'?

No surprises there though who got the most offended by some sage advice is it?

It was bad advice.

If we follow his sagacity then we tell car crime victims "don't drive nice cars" and people who have been burgled "don't own nice things".

Eh? Care to explain the logic of how criticism of the statement made by the police officer equates to 'male hatred'?

It wouldn't matter if the police officer was male or female, the criticism remains the same.

The police officer has apologised for the statement, so is his own criticism of the 'sound advice' he gave 'male hatred'?

Yes no problem when you can explain how his words were misogynistic first?

The police Officer probably apologised because he doesn't want to lose his job.

It was bad advice.

If we follow his sagacity then we tell car crime victims "don't drive nice cars" and people who have been burgled "don't own nice things".

The Police advise people all the time about how to prevent crime.

Ever heard the phrase:-

"KEEP YOUR VALUABLES LOCKED UP"

?

There you go again, projecting your own standards and morality based on what someone wears.
I tend to always judge based on my own standards and morality, how else would I?

Posted by ronthenekred

No matter which way you cut it you are apportioning blame to a victim as some sort of defence of the perp.

Not at all. I'm saying what you most probably have thought at some time but dare not say in fear of the backlash. I've already stated that I'm not condoning rape nor am I excusing rapists. My posts have nothing to do with blame since the rapist would be to blame in any situation. My posts are related to the prevention of rape in the examples you asked me to give you... remember?

Posted by ronthenekred

Women are attacked wearing a multitude of different type of clothing of varying degrees. Even Nuns get raped. :roll:

Of course they do, but that wouldn't be sexually motivated would it. If a woman dressed like a:[Quote- "slut", is raped it would most likely be due to the perp becoming sexually aroused by a woman dressed like a slut, not by the thought of committing the act of rape on any old victim.

"Take care of yourself and try not to put yourself in unneccessary danger" is good advice.

"Don't dress like a slut" is terrible advice. The main reason being it is hugely subjective, and puts that qualification in the hands of the men who commit the crime in the first place.

What's a bit scary here is that some on here defend his statement (1st bold) and by default relate themselves with my last bold.

Maggot the ultimate misogynist sums up many an attitude on here.

Yes no problem when you can explain how his words were misogynistic first?

He said "You know, I think we’re beating around the bush here…women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimised."

Do I really need to explain why the words of someone else are mysogynistic before you'll explain your own logic?

If I was asked to define the word misogynistic I would refer to that statement.

What's a bit scary here is that some on here defend his statement (1st bold) and by default relate themselves with my last bold.

Personally I find you wierd, on the one hand you protect the right for someone to wear what they like and behave however they want yet when someone expresses an opinion that runs contrary to that you're ready to fire off the insults, the labelling and the acussations..

The same precautions that a man or woman can take to avoid rape are the same that they can take to avoid any violent assault though.

The reason for the slutwalks, and this thread, is because of the misogynistic view held by some that women, and only women, bring a specific form of violent assault upon themselves if they dress in a certain manner.

The burqa and the chastity belt are the inevitable result within a society that promotes such a viewpoint.

They do though. It's all well and good thinking idealistically, but the real world isn't like that at all. It's time people stopped being so pig headed and acknowledged that the world isn't and most probably never will be the place we'd all like it to be. It's a vile, vulgar and violent place, and if anyone is of the mind to defiantly prance around wearing next to nothing you'd soon realise.

Archived