"Slutwalks" in N. America

What to wear  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear

• Women should wear what they want
    • Women should be more careful what they wear

It is utterly stupid to attack people for wearing another team's football shirt.

It isn't morally wrong to wear clothes and it is morally wrong to attack people.

Correct. Doesn't change that it would be stupid to wear certain types of clothes in certain scenarios like you pointed out.

Correct. Doesn't change that it would be stupid to wear certain types of clothes in certain scenarios like you pointed out.

The point is, if you're moronic enough to attack someone because of what they wear then anyone wearing any type of clothing is fair game.

The point is, if you're moronic enough to attack someone because of what they wear then anyone wearing any type of clothing is fair game.

Moronic yes, but people sometimes obviously do target other people simply because of what they are wearing. I'm pretty sure you must know this.

So does that justify telling women how to dress? When do you stop, when they're covered head to toe in a black shroud? Maybe they just shouldn't be allowed out without a chaperone... for their own safety of course.

So does that justify telling women how to dress? When do you stop, when they're covered head to toe in a black shroud? Maybe they just shouldn't be allowed out without a chaperone... for their own safety of course.

No, and I wouldn't tell women how to dress either. The point still remains that wearing certain clothes in certain scenarios can increase the likelihood of that person becoming a victim.

No, and I wouldn't tell women how to dress either. The point still remains that wearing certain clothes in certain scenarios can increase the likelihood of that person becoming a victim.

No it doesn't. That's an excuse an attacker will make and any apologist who perpetuates the myth.

If you're talking about the blame for rape or sexual assault, and you're trying to be sarcastic, then I'm afraid you really are part of the problem.
I've already said I'm not talking about "blame". I'm talking about the steps a woman can take to try to prevent a man from assaulting her or raping her when in the situations I illustrated in the examples I gave- one situation being when she's acting irresponsibly by getting too drunk and gyrating herself from one man to the next.

Let's not make the mistake of envisaging rapists wearing leather masks and leaping out of bushes and pouncing on their unsuspecting victims before dragging them up a dark alley kicking and screaming. It's a proven fact that most rapists are known to the victim, but some are not, and it's these 'some' that my examples are aimed at.

I was specifically asked to give an example of how a woman could prevent a man from raping her- I provided three. Actually, precaution may been a more suitable word to use than prevention, but the principle is the same in any event.

You're right in thinking that women would be safe if it weren't for some men who won't take no for an answer, but that's such a naive way to look at it. People will always do terrible things to one another, and no moral code will ever alter that.

Women need to take more precautions(when in situations such as those my examples illustrate)to try to avoid the inevitable. Everyone knows that the rapist is to blame, but this isn't about who's to blame, it's about what women can do to avoid being raped by these types of men.

Originally posted by Cyclone

If a man rapes or assaults someone, then that man is completely and utterly to blame.

I totally agree with you. However, I'm not talking about "blame" Cyclone. I'm talking about- 'responsibility', 'precaution', and 'prevention'.

It isn't irresponsible to wear clothes of one's own choosing. It isn't irresponsible to wear a Sheff Utd shirt to a Sheff Wed match. It isn't irresponsible to wear a Boy George outfit to a Klan Rally.

But would you choose to wear a Rangers shirt amongst a crowd of Celtic supporters?

No it doesn't. That's an excuse an attacker will make and any apologist who perpetuates the myth.

Of course it does.

People have been beaten up simply for the football shirt they are wearing. Do you think it would be a good idea to go and sit with the Sheff Wed fans while wearing a Sheff Utd shirt?

EDIT: This has just been asked above pretty much. =)

Archived