"Slutwalks" in N. America

What to wear  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear

• Women should wear what they want
    • Women should be more careful what they wear

No, and I wouldn't tell women how to dress either. The point still remains that wearing certain clothes in certain scenarios can increase the likelihood of that person becoming a victim.

We are talking about telling women how to dress though.

And there is still no evidence that women dressed up for a night out are in more danger than those wearing sack cloth and ashes.

We are talking about telling women how to dress though.

And there is still no evidence that women dressed up for a night out are in more danger than those wearing sack cloth and ashes.

We are talking about many things within this thread stemming from the main issue.

I have seen with my own eyes women in clubs getting sexually assaulted because of the skimpy outfits they are wearing.

Which is where you are wrong. It isn't irresponsible to wear clothes of one's own choosing.
It is if you know you're going to attract unwanted attention. It doesn't matter what other people should do. It's what they do do that concerns me. Idealisms and moral codes count for nothing out there Chris. It's naive and completely irresponsible to wear something provocative knowing it's going to attract undesirable attention.

Ideally, everyone should be able to wear whatever they want without being attacked or molested but they can't. That's how it is, don't shoot the messenger.

Posted by Chris_Sleeps

It isn't irresponsible to wear a Sheff Utd shirt to a Sheff Wed match.

It would be irresponsible to prance around in the sheff united cop wearing a sheff wed top though wouldn't it?- Cause and affect Chris.

Posted by Chris_Sleeps

It isn't irresponsible to wear a Boy George outfit to a Klan Rally. The victim is never responsible for the crime against them.

Chris. It doesn't matter who is to blame. I'm not talking about blame, I'm talking about taking steps to prevent the attack.

Anybody would think that we're meant to live in perfect harmony. That's just an idealistic dream that's never going to happen. It's in our nature to do terrible things to one another and unless people realise this and take the necessary precautions they're going to be sitting ducks.

I totally agree with you. However, I'm not talking about "blame" Cyclone. I'm talking about- 'responsibility', 'precaution', and 'prevention'.

How can you be responsible, and preventative when there is no set criteria to rape or attack? A woman may think, I'm not dressing like that to avoid being attacked and still be a victim. Repeating "she must take responsibility" doesn't cure or reduce rape unless she uses your definition and includes all scenarios, which is vast.

Men are also attacked, do I consider every scenario before stepping out the door? If I did I would empower the attacker.

Using dumb analogies such as "would you go to a rangers match wearing a Celtic shirt" only works if you ask a woman "would you go to a venue on your own if all were known rapists". No she wouldn't. That's the point, they don't come in fluorescent Green, they can be you, me or the local vicar.

I don't know how the issue has got confused. I'll clarify what I, and others mean, yet again. Nobody is saying it is the woman's fault if they are abused in any way, it will always be the attackers fault.

However, some, and I repeat, some, men see scantily dressed women as up for it. I'm not making this up, it's not an opinion I have learned from a book, its been learned by attending many a drinking session with the aformentioned blokes..

I feel what is trying to be said is that women could perhaps avoid such attention by not dressing like this. Nobody is saying they should, but commenting it would be a precautionary method.

I would imaging being sexually assaulted is a horrible experience and by taking precautions to avoid the experience is a common sense attitude.

I can understand the argument that scantily dressed women are as likely to be assaulted as women in dull big baggy clothing. Although, I don't agree with this argument.

I don't believe that rape is only about power it has to be about the physical attraction as well, in relation to the man, for obvious reasons.

I don't believe that rape is only about power it has to be about the physical attraction as well, in relation to the man, for obvious reasons.

What physical attraction and what obvious reasons?

I did it for the power but in mitigation she was rather attractive? Lucky girl.

What physical attraction and what obvious reasons?

I did it for the power but in mitigation she was rather attractive? Lucky girl.

I did it because she looked rather nice, turned me on and I am a moron, so therefore used power to get what I want.

It's naive and completely irresponsible to wear something provocative knowing it's going to attract undesirable attention.

No it isn't. Not one bit. I used the transvestite hypothesis on the deleted thread. If someone wishes to wear clothes that draws attention then so be it, but it isn't irresponsible. They aren't doing anything wrong at all.

That is far from the truth. People rape outside of the context of attraction - animals, children, disabled people, old people, same-sex rape. Sexual attraction is about procreation.

No it isn't. Not one bit. I used the transvestite hypothesis on the deleted thread. If someone wishes to wear clothes that draws attention then so be it, but it isn't irresponsible. They aren't doing anything wrong at all.

You seem to miss the point. No one is saying that it is wrong to dress a certain way. The only person in the wrong is the attacker, but the female can certainly dress in a way that will maybe lessen the likelihood of this by not attracting the attention in the first place.

Archived