"Slutwalks" in N. America

What to wear  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear

• Women should wear what they want
    • Women should be more careful what they wear

Would it be acceptable for a police officer to go to a business convention and say something like

"To avoid being mugged, don't wear expensive watches you flash b*sterds"

I don't think it would. And the derogatory comment there is less personal and less offensive than characterising college girls as slutty, I can't actually think of an equivalent for men...

The BBC reported he was giving a talk on health and safety at a school not a business convention, which I don't think is a fair comparison.

Lets say he was giving a talk to wealthy business people arriving at some 3rd world country.

Or if you like try looking on the foriegn office website and see what the recommedations are when travelling in certain countries..

What physical attraction and what obvious reasons?

I did it for the power but in mitigation she was rather attractive? Lucky girl.

Power in itself will not cause an erection. Attraction to the victim is also necessary. If it was all about power then powerful people would be walking about in a perpetual state of arousal...

I would bet that the majority of women sexually assaulted would be considered attractive by the general public..

I wouldn't either. My choice is subjective though. Is there a difference between stealing £1,000 in cash or a stealing a £1,000 watch?
I'd say there is in this instance now we've established that neither of us would be silly enough to count our money walking down the street.

The BBC reported he was giving a talk on health and safety at a school not a business convention, which I don't think is a fair comparison.

Lets say he was giving a talk to wealthy business people arriving at some 3rd world country.

Or if you like try looking on the foriegn office website and see what the recommedations are when travelling in certain countries..

Do the foreign office use pejorative terms to give advice? Is any of their advice gender specific (when it isn't about a gender specific law of a destination)?

Telling a group of people to be aware of their own safety is not the same as telling a group of women not to dress like sluts.

What we have here is not a debate about sexual assault but a debate about whether men can comment on women's behaviour..

It wasn't commenting on, it was telling them what to do in a misogynistic way.

"women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimised"

So women dressing like a slut (which is subjective and offensive not objective) can expect to be victimised, and are therefore at fault for not following the perfectly good advice of not looking like a whore, because clearly looking like a whore makes it okay for someone to attack you. :gag:

Do the foreign office use pejorative terms to give advice? Is any of their advice gender specific (when it isn't about a gender specific law of a destination)?

Telling a group of people to be aware of their own safety is not the same as telling a group of women not to dress like sluts.

So all your concerned with is the use of the word slut is it?

Do the foriegn office give advice that is gender specific? Yes I believe they do, like what to wear in Muslim countries, same as other travel organisations do..

So all your concerned with is the use of the word slut is it?

No, but it's certainly important in this debate. The term "slutwalk" wasn't chosen as a joke.

Do the foriegn office give advice that is gender specific? Yes I believe they do, like what to wear in Muslim countries, same as other travel organisations do..

Hence why I specifically mentioned excluding legal requirements of destinations.

Although there are plenty of threads where such requirements are decried.

I'd say there is in this instance now we've established that neither of us would be silly enough to count our money walking down the street.

You're extrapolating reasons though. I wouldn't count my money in the street for many reasons, not all of them within the context of what we are discussing.

I'll bring it back with an hypothesis of my own; if you're daughter went on a night out and was attacked by a man, who told the police "she was behaving like a slut", what would you say to her?

Would you say "you did nothing wrong, it is his responsibility to control his own behaviour and attacking you is never justified"; or would you say "you shouldn't've behaved like a slut"?

No, but it's certainly important in this debate. The term "slutwalk" wasn't chosen as a joke.

I think slutwalk is a joke though, I think the Police Officer was right to aire his views as he probably has a lot of experience and was passing that on.

Hence why I specifically mentioned excluding legal requirements of destinations. Although there are plenty of threads where such requirements are decried.

I didn't mention anything about legal requirements but if there are any we also know there are plenty of other cultures that live in Toronto and it could be possible that people of those cultures react quite strongly to scantily clad women let alone "westerners" who are used to it..

Archived