"Slutwalks" in N. America

What to wear  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear

• Women should wear what they want
    • Women should be more careful what they wear

Are you suggesting that you find it acceptable if a woman sexualises herself

How does one 'sexualise' oneself? There are a few acts under that vague banner. ( :P )

Being attractive isn't a crime, and what has that got to do with "commercial sex"? This thread isn't about selling sex, which is ironic when you patronise people about going off-topic.

I'm starting to wonder if everyone else is reading DIFFERENT WORDS to the ones I wrote.

How, please, did you get the idea from my post that I'd said 'women are as, if not more so, responsible, for all this sexism?'

Not at all. I read your post then read Danot's. It's very easy to get confused, for the confused.

Funny. Great initial post though Jessica.

I meant exactly what I wrote. There's nothing complicated about it.

What I wrote is also in no way incompatible with finding sexual harassment and assault, sexism, the misogynistic double-standard around sex and/or certain aspects of commercial sex problematic.

I'm afraid the double standard you refer to isn't due to misogynistic attitudes, it's due to feminist attitudes.

It seems women like to have their cake and eat it when it comes to the 'sexualiation of women'.

One minute women are criticising men for being disrespectful when leering at them when they wear provocative clothing that sexualises them.

The next minute they're wagging their finger and blaming the likes of MTV, the Sun, The Sunday sport and Nuts magazine, etc, for the commercial sexualisation of women. Which is a womans prerogative I presume.

Posted by Jessica23

Your implication that it must be, and that I've somehow tripped up by stating - OH THE TEMERITY - that women who own their sexuality are allowed to do that, is laughable.

It may well be laughable from a feminists point of view, but it certainly isn't hypocritical.

How does one 'sexualise' oneself? There are a few acts under that vague banner. ( :P )
One could sexualise oneself by looking at the women in a lads-mag and dressing similar to them.

Posted by Chris_Sleeps

Being attractive isn't a crime, and what has that got to do with "commercial sex"? This thread isn't about selling sex, which is ironic when you patronise people about going off-topic.

Attractiveness isn't the issue here, nor is 'prostitution'.

I'm not entirely sure that it's me who's off topic Chris?

I'm afraid the double standard you refer to isn't due to misogynistic attitudes, it's due to feminist attitudes.

It seems women like to have their cake and eat it when it comes to the 'sexualiation of women'.

One minute women are criticising men for being disrespectful when leering at them when they wear provocative clothing that sexualises them.

The next minute they're wagging their finger and blaming the likes of MTV, the Sun, The Sunday sport and Nuts magazine, etc, for the commercial sexualisation of women. Which is a womans prerogative I presume.

It may well be laughable from a feminists point of view, but it certainly isn't hypocritical.

Trying to have any kind of meaningful debate on here about anything to do with gender and sexuality sometimes feels like having a conversation with someone who doesn't speak the same the language as you.

Would you like to explain why feminists would be interested in perpetrating a misogynistic double-standard, please?

I would still like to be given a proper definition of what is "slutty" tbh.

Frank Sidney gave some examples of girls in t-shirts and jeans, but it seemed to me that their only "crime" was being in possession of large knockers and ass. My wife wears t-shirt and jeans all the time, is she dressing "slutishly?

So come on, if you're going to advise women not to wear it, let's have a proper definition of "slutish" clothing please.

Trying to have any kind of meaningful debate on here about anything to do with gender and sexuality sometimes feels like having a conversation with someone who doesn't speak the same the language as you.

Would you like to explain why feminists would be interested in perpetrating a misogynistic double-standard, please?

You are wasting your time because, as you say, some contributors are short on the sort of terminology you'd expect to find in a discourse on this subject.

I strongly suspect that years of unchallenged male gaze media are to blame.

I would still like to be given a proper definition of what is "slutty" tbh.

Frank Sidney gave some examples of girls in t-shirts and jeans, but it seemed to me that their only "crime" was being in possession of large knockers and ass. My wife wears t-shirt and jeans all the time, is she dressing "slutishly?

So come on, if you're going to advise women not to wear it, let's have a proper definition of "slutish" clothing please.

The definition could be that certain types of men regard women who are sexually active. More importantly the same men have difficulty sexually in attracting women who are sexually active. In other words, if their not attracted to me then by their definition their "sluts". Ironically the same men who use the word tend to be the one's who are unattractive to most women. Being a man I could be wrong though. And they suffer from erectile dysfunction.

Just another power tool is all.

Archived