"Slutwalks" in N. America

What to wear  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear

• Women should wear what they want
    • Women should be more careful what they wear

Which doesn't seem to match up to your original assertions :-

So now I have you down as a wind up merchant, a liar or someone when faced with a resonable answer will shift the goalposts.

There is no contradiction in my position at all ... not a bit.

Thinking about this "dressing like a slut" concept a bit more, I can honestly say that I've only known of three women that have had a reputation for, well, sexually promiscuous behaviour. All three have been in managerial jobs, and dressed quite smartly.

I have never, and I speak for the rest of my male friends, considered that the way a woman dresses makes them more up for it. If girls want to show a bit of leg or cleavage it's just fancy dress, having some fun. Yes some will know that they might get a few comments, but that does not equate to "asking for it" or being a "slut".

Besides, a rapist is not interested in somebody who's "asking for it". A rapist is only interested in "taking it". The only thing that is of interest to a rapist is opportunity and his chances getting away with it, neither of which is relevant to fashion.

Unfortunately, the more that people talk about women "dressing like sluts", the more opportunity is provided for them getting away with it.

Slut is a term used by inadequates at best and sexual deviants/rapists at worse. They either can't deal with women sexually active or they themselves are sexually impaired. It makes you wonder why the definition isn't forthcoming.

Either that or the term is part and parcel of their everyday language use, cos their mates dahn pub du.

Well I have no problem with adults drinking or taking drugs, if that's what they want, but most people would find the idea of giving drugs to kids abhorrent.

Adults tend to dress themselves, and choose the way they dress, whilst the way children dress is influenced by the choice of the parents.

Fair enough. So if you saw the young daughter of a friend showing a little leg and cleavage you'd see it as fancy dress would you? Or would you say her parents are being irresponsible for letting her dress that way?

Slut is a term used by inadequates at best and sexual deviants/rapists at worse. They either can't deal with women sexually active or they themselves are sexually impaired. It makes you wonder why the definition isn't forthcoming.

Either that or the term is part and parcel of their everyday language use, cos their mates dahn pub du.

When this thread was started I tried to verify my position by searching for any contradictory data to suggest that there was a positive correlation between rape and the way that women dressed. There is no evidence, none at all.

What I did find though, was some blogs that mentioned a positive correlation between men that actually thought that the way women dressed equated to "asking for it", and men more likely to commit rape.

So it does make you wonder, yes.

Fair enough. So if you saw the young daughter of a friend showing a little leg and cleavage you'd see it as fancy dress would you? Or would you say her parents are being irresponsible for letting her dress that way?

I really can't answer a question as vague as that. I've seen the daughters of friends running around starkers and thought nothing at all. I suspect my reaction would be similar to most adults tbh, depending on how old, what they were wearing, and where. But I've never been placed in such a position.

When this thread was started I tried to verify my position by searching for any contradictory data to suggest that there was a positive correlation between rape and the way that women dressed. There is no evidence, none at all.

What I did find though, was some blogs that mentioned a positive correlation between men that actually thought that the way women dressed equated to "asking for it", and men more likely to commit rape.

So it does make you wonder, yes.

You're quite welcome to go onto angryharry.com whcih is run by a doctor and a fully qualified clinical psychologist and see how far you get with your questioning but I suspect you wont get very far..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIY5MH4OGR8

I really can't answer a question as vague as that. I've seen the daughters of friends running around starkers and thought nothing at all. I suspect my reaction would be similar to most adults tbh, depending on how old, what they were wearing, and where. But I've never been placed in such a position.
In that case rule out any little girls that aren't wearing a nappy and concentrate on girls in their young teens. Same question applies.

In that case rule out any little girls that aren't wearing a nappy and concentrate on girls in their young teens. Same question applies.

Are you that desperate you're now clutching at straws? Get back on topic man and stop with the stupidity. Before long you'll have us debating flock wallpaper with all your nonsense.

Are you that desperate you're now clutching at straws? Get back on topic man ans stop with the stupidity. Before long you'll have us debating flock wallpaper with all your nonsense.
Wait a minute. You more than anyone has wanted someone to define what dressing like a slut actually is, so lets do it.

quisquose feels that women wearing clothes that reveal a lot of leg and cleavage is nothing more than wearing fancy dress, a bit of harmless fun. Yet I'm confident that most parents with a young teenage daughter wouldn't approve if she were to dress that way. Which beggars the question- what is it that makes adults feel it's unacceptable for children to dress that way?

Wait a minute. You more than anyone has wanted someone to define what dressing like a slut actually is, so lets do it.

quisquose feels that women wearing clothes that reveal a lot of leg and cleavage is nothing more than wearing fancy dress, a bit of harmless fun. Yet I'm confident that most parents with a young teenage daughter wouldn't approve if she were to dress that way. Which beggars the question- what is it that makes adults feel it's unacceptable for children to dress that way?

Then get on with it. You've been asked enough.

Again, please enlighten us. You being confident and such.

Off to bed, gives you 6 hours to come up with something.

Archived