"Slutwalks" in N. America

What to wear  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear

• Women should wear what they want
    • Women should be more careful what they wear

You asked me a number of questions, which I answered as honestly as I could, but only led to further questions. By the time you got to #599 I had been subjected to some offensive comments and had pretty much given up on this thread. Again, despite my best efforts to answer your questions I notice a snide remark. This is becoming quite predictable.:roll:

Oh gowd. You need to grow thicker skin quisquose.

Posted by quisquose

Reading back, I can now see that your evolving questions are merely trying to prove some sort of hypocrisy in my position. I can tell you now, there is no hypocrisy in my position. I have a teenage daughter, and whilst her mother and myself might have had some influence on the way she dressed up until going to secondary school, I can tell you that we don't now ... and nor do we intend to. She is, money permitting, as free to wear what she wants as you and I are. She is her own person.

So you and your wife have allowed your daughter to wear whatever she wants to wear since around about her twelfth birthday regardless of how sexually provocative you thought it was? I don't believe you my friend.

Posted by quisquose

What I will add is that within my circle of female friends, with the exception of one who was 'flashed' at whilst she was in a school playground, I don't know of any that have been subjected to a serious sexual assault. This is despite the fact that they have all, on occasion, worn some pretty sexy clothing. This may be luck, it might be because they are sensible, because they are always aware of their circumstances, but most likely it is because they all have a instinctive aversion to unpleasant men. What I do know is that what they have chosen to wear has had nothing to do with their safety.

Would you mind describing to me what they were wearing just so I can build a mental picture and decide for myself whether they did look sexually provocative enough to warrant you using them to support you own argument?

Posted by quisquose

I would only be a hypocrite if I tried to prevent my daughter or my son from enjoying the same freedoms that their parents enjoyed. I will give them both the same advice that I was given; don't drink too much, stay together with your friends, look after each other, plan your way home, don't go with strangers, etc.

So your daughter is now a responsible adult is she? You're lucky, considering that since she was 12 she's had the freedom to wear clothes that would make her look sexually provocative. Tut Tut.

Have you still not grasped that no one is refusing to define what slut means, although there doesn't appear to be much of an effort being made by others to answer the question I've asked on numerous occasions. Do you have any ideas on why that might be Cyclone?

Incidentally Cyclone, I'm not refusing to define what it means. On the contrary. I'm still in the process and still totally committed to getting someone to answer the question I asked in post 600 in my attempt to define what the generic term- "dressing like a slut" means but as I've said, no one else seems prepared to answer the question so maybe you could answer the question and assist me in my attempt to define what it is that adults consider totally unacceptable about young teenage girls Wearing clothes that reveal too much leg and cleavage?

You really don't get it do you - I think you are being deliberately or otherwise dense.

Whether an adult considers a teenage girl to be showing 'too much' leg or cleavage is entirely subjective.

What you consider unacceptable is not what others consider unacceptable.

The sad, but amusing, part is that blokes on her only agree with you because you're hot...:hihi::love:

Firstly, You have no idea whether I'm 'hot' or not, besides which what I look like is utterly irrelevant.:roll: Secondly, what an insult to the male posters with whom I happen to be in agreement. The whole premise of this debate and its variants seems to be that men are at the mercy of their penises. If this is the case, how come the majority of men are able to control themselves when in the presence of a 'hot' woman?

I actually think murder is going off topic somewhat but as it was mentioned why not bring abortion into it?

Either way it's still the taking away of life isn't it?

Nice try, you're pulling every stunt imaginable to demonise women. Which is worse in your view? Abortion or child abuse? The latter is overwhelmingly perpetrated by men.

Nice try, you're pulling every stunt imaginable to demonise women. Which is worse in your view? Abortion or child abuse? The latter is overwhelmingly perpetrated by men.

Not at all if you want to demonise men be prepared to defend your comments.

Well let’s have a think about this, roughly 200,000 lives ended each year and what are you defining as child abuse which the last time I looked was mainly perpetrated by Mothers?

You really don't get it do you - I think you are being deliberately or otherwise dense.

Whether an adult considers a teenage girl to be showing 'too much' leg or cleavage is entirely subjective.

What you consider unacceptable is not what others consider unacceptable.

Would you consider it acceptable if the parents of a young teenage girl allowed her to wear clothes that made her look sexually provocative?

Would you say those who find my posts offensive consider it acceptable if parents allowed their young teenage daughters to dress that way?

Would you consider it acceptable if the parents of a young teenage girl allowed her to wear clothes that made her look sexually provocative?

Would you say those who find my posts offensive consider it acceptable if parents allowed their young teenage daughters to dress that way?

Whether they are sexually provocative is entirely subjective.

It's an unanswerable question.

Not at all if you want to demonise men be prepared to defend your comments.

Well let’s have a think about this, roughly 200,000 lives ended each year and what are you defining as child abuse which the last time I looked was mainly perpetrated by Mothers?

That's not what Suffragette has sought to do and it's intellectually dishonest at the very least for you to pretend otherwise.

The abortion debate really isn't relevant to the discussion of whether woman's clothing contributes to assaults on them by men.

If you want to start an anti abortion thread, fine, go ahead, but stop trying to further muddy the waters by banging on about it here.

Archived