"Slutwalks" in N. America

What to wear  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What to wear

• Women should wear what they want
    • Women should be more careful what they wear

I disagree, I think we're discussing what he actually said, rather than what you interpret his motive to be.

You've lost me there, we're discussing a police officers inappropriate comments, what practical solution do you think we're searching for? And even if we were searching for a solution (to what problem?) how can the solution be found without reference to morality or legality?

He was trying to prevent girls from being assaulted ignoring all the politics, pc speak and who's to blame. He was providing a practical solution, which was, in his crude language - "don't dress like sluts"...and you'll stand more chance of avoiding dodgy blokes. I read he's apologised, but I'll bet in private he stands by the remarks..

Women wearing provocative clothing may be more likely to be harrassed by men, but your original question was "are they being a little silly" by protesting about what this man said. I'm sure he had their safety at the forefront of his mind, but the terminology he used was the issue and the obvious low opinion he has of women. Describing a woman as a slut because of her apparel shows a contempt. Pigeon-holing women into a sexual context because of her appearance is not treating women in the same way as men. The reason I raised the legal aspect in the previous post was that his attitude was one of so many men and actually affects the outcomes of rape cases. It is not "a bit silly" to be concerned about this and express an opposition to it.

Women wearing provocative clothing may be more likely to be harrassed by men, but your original question was "are they being a little silly" by protesting about what this man said. I'm sure he had their safety at the forefront of his mind, but the terminology he used was the issue and the obvious low opinion he has of women. Describing a woman as a slut because of her apparel shows a contempt. Pigeon-holing women into a sexual context because of her appearance is not treating women in the same way as men. The reason I raised the legal aspect in the previous post was that his attitude was one of so many men and actually affects the outcomes of rape cases. It is not "a bit silly" to be concerned about this and express an opposition to it.

So do you think if the advise did reduce the risk he shouldn't have said it because of the reasons you state?

He is a police officer and deals with this sort of thing all the time. I'm sure he must have based his opinion on some of his experience of dealing with victims and culprits. I'm sure he didn't just base his advise on some antiquated image of women.

Just to emphasise the point.

Here are two clips of girls. Which one do you think would receive (albeit unwanted) attention from men?

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZbB1PdajLU&feature=related

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT6Po4XqP5E

Anyway I think the officer was stating that the girl in 2 is less likely to attract unwanted attention from predatory males. He advised the girls for their own safety that this type of clothing would not attract the same attention as the girl in 1.

Try to ignore all the moral and legal arguments in that women should be able to wear what they like. Of course they should. The cold truth is that women who wear provocative clothes are more likely to be harassed by some men..

I'm now thinking of ignoring the moral and legal arguments about owning nice things. The cold truth is that people that own an iPhone 4 are more likely to have it stolen than somebody with a Nokia 1100 ..

Perhaps the officer will combat car thefts by suggesting that people purchase crap cars?

Whilst suggesting that dressing 'sensibly' might be okay from a family member or friend, it is not okay from the state imho. As soon as the state starts to engage in victim blaming, it's a slippery slope that erodes our freedoms.

I'm sure he didn't just base his advise on some antiquated image of women.

That is a very charitable view. And no, just because he has formed opinions does not make it necessarily acceptable that he expresses them within a professional capacity.

http://www.usu.edu/saavi/pdf/myths_facts.pdf

RAPE AND SEXUAL ASSAULT MYTHS AND FACTS

Myth: Rape victims provoke the attack by wearing provocative clothing

• Most convicted rapists do not remember what their victims were wearing.

• Victims range in age from days old to those in their nineties, hardly provocative dressers.

• A Federal Commission on Crime of Violence Study found that only 4.4% of all reported

rapes involved provocative behavior on the part of the victim. In murder cases 22%

involved such behavior (as simple as a glance).

That's not really relevant. I've already stated that a rapist wouldn't take any notice of what the victim was wearing, they're criminals..

Not relevant? It's actually evidence against the claim being made by yourself.

That is a very charitable view. And no, just because he has formed opinions does not make it necessarily acceptable that he expresses them within a professional capacity.

If someone who works with the victims of sexual assault and arrests those responsible's experience isn't worth anything, who knows. Perhaps the worlds enforcement agencies should log on to SF for tried and trusted methods to halt the crime. Perhaps we could replace the "Police Training Manual" with "Introducing Sociology at AS Level".. Furthermore, we should do away with truncheons and replace them with an elongated nut cutlet. Handcuffs could be made from hemp and the badge hand crafted from re-cycled tin cans.

Hang on though, nobodies actually suggested a method to stop the harassment of women except to assert (frequently) that its not their fault. Funnily enough everybody and his dog agrees with this..

Archived