Does Sheffield need a bar like The Sports Cafe

firecracker

I was in Leeds at the weekend and watched the matches Wigan v Fulham on Premplus, and Spurs v Arsenal on a German or Norwegian sports satellite channel at The Sports Cafe. The Leeds outlet has 13 pool tables, 3 floors, eating area, around 100 televisions, plasma screens and a masssive screen in the basement, not to mention the walls adorned with sports paraphenalia, a F1 racing car suspended from the ceiling, a motor bike in a glass cage, a basketball court, dancefloor etc, and 2am licence. So would forumers like to see an outlet of The Sports Cafe open in Sheffield. Personally, I reckon Sheffield ought to have one.

We did have a bar like that, but it shut down.

Almost all the bars in town have all the crazy crap all over the walls. And about 70% of all pubs in this city have a blinking tv in every single corner. I would like a rest from this bland annoyance and some proper pubs again with carpets, lots of different sized rooms so you can have a nice quiet pint with your pals without having screaming commentators tv adverts or 160dB of horrible music to contend with.

Originally posted by lazyfish

Yes, we definitely need a Sports Café. My local only shows the football on one screen. What good is that? If there are a hundred screens then we'll enjoy the game a hundred times more. That's how it works, right?

100 screens of football......truly the world has gone AWOL

Originally posted by goldenfleece

100 screens of football......truly the world has gone AWOL

I feel that Lazyfish was being ironic with that comment, i'm sure nobody is that stupid.

By the way, R&R's at the bottom of london road has a reliant robin, and a scooter { I think? } suspended from the ceiling, also a screen big enough for a small cinema, and several pool tables. We have this type of bar all over the city. The punchbowl at crookes has 6 or more pool tables 2 massive screens and about 30 other TV screens in every corner all showing sport. I don't need to go on I'm sure..

Originally posted by firecracker

I was in Leeds at the weekend and watched the matches Wigan v Fulham on Premplus, and Spurs v Arsenal on a German or Norwegian sports satellite channel at The Sports Cafe. The Leeds outlet has 13 pool tables, 3 floors, eating area, around 100 televisions, plasma screens and a masssive screen in the basement, not to mention the walls adorned with sports paraphenalia, a F1 racing car suspended from the ceiling, a motor bike in a glass cage, a basketball court, dancefloor etc, and 2am licence. So would forumers like to see an outlet of The Sports Cafe open in Sheffield. Personally, I reckon Sheffield ought to have one.

Yes we do need one,and would probably have one if there was a suitable unit available for one,maybe they might open up in Leopold Sq or Heart of the City when the buildings are finished.Anythings got to be better than that "Champs" place on Eccy Rd that's full of people with very high opinions of themselves and "Legends" in Hillsborough that's full of tramps.

Every major city in UK has one of this chain so it's only a matter of time before we get one...........but watch the council say...02:00 am.........i don't think so,we don't want to keep the "City Living dwellers" awake

Sheffield already has a bar like this (OK, without the tacky sports memorabilia all over the place but with some tasteful photos) - The Common Room on Division Street. There must be about 20 pool tables, and just as many plasma screens, and a room at the back with a screen that fully covers one of the walls.

They do food, and have happy hours during the week (£1.50 a pint!), lots of different areas, seating, booths, bean bags etc.

Only downside is that they don't show any local matches on TV - apparently by orders of the council/police.

Archived