Road fund tax, online payment question

I paid for my car tax at the weekend online, payment went through fine, what i need to know is, now it has been paid and we are waiting for the tax disc to come through the post, is it legal to drive the car without the tax disc on the windscreen???

I have not received the tax disc. Can I use the vehicle without the tax disc displayed?

When you apply for a tax disc online or by using our phone service you are able to legally continue to drive your vehicle for up to 5 days after the tax disc has expired while you wait for the new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply when you have applied for a new tax disc before the current one expires. You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives.

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=Common+Questions#QUESTION_9

You have five days, it does say so somewhere online, to allow for postage...I am not sure how you display this though, tax in post springs to mind ;) , no seriously, it does say you have five days.

I have not received the tax disc. Can I use the vehicle without the tax disc displayed?

When you apply for a tax disc online or by using our phone service you are able to legally continue to drive your vehicle for up to 5 days after the tax disc has expired while you wait for the new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply when you have applied for a new tax disc before the current one expires. You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives.

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=Common+Questions#QUESTION_9

^ Which is only 1 click away on the same page used to make payment...

automated checks based on scanning the licence plate should show that the car is properly taxed.

your only risk, is that a passing policeperson notices your tax disc is out of date and even then you are fine because:

a) the computer check should show up that the car is taxed

b) you should have received a confirmation email which you can use to confirm that your car is taxed.

Although you have 5 days to allow for postage you are supposed to order it before the end of the month. I suppose they could be awkward and say it only covered up to May 5th. They do however check to see if it is on the DVLA records so you should be ok and mine came in 2 days so yours should be there tomorrow.

I paid for my car tax at the weekend online, payment went through fine, what i need to know is, now it has been paid and we are waiting for the tax disc to come through the post, is it legal to drive the car without the tax disc on the windscreen???

No it's not legal.

You are allowed to have a vehicle on the road for five working days but

only if you ordered the new tax disc whilst the old tax disc was still valid.

If the old tax disc expired without renewal, the vehicle should have a SORN

(Statutory Off Road Notification) in force and be kept off-road.

Archived