Road fund tax, online payment question

No it's not legal.

You are allowed to have a vehicle on the road for five working days but

only if you ordered the new tax disc whilst the old tax disc was still valid.

If the old tax disc expired without renewal, the vehicle should have a SORN

(Statutory Off Road Notification) in force and be kept off-road.

What happens if he only bought the car on Saturday..taxed it as soon as he got it...

I paid for my car tax at the weekend online, payment went through fine, what i need to know is, now it has been paid and we are waiting for the tax disc to come through the post, is it legal to drive the car without the tax disc on the windscreen???

just out of interest when will the new one run out..ie have you lost a week and a bit's tax....

The law was modified in 2008. Vehicle Excise and Registration Act 1994 was modified:

147 Not exhibiting licence: period of grace

In section 33 of VERA 1994 (not exhibiting licence), after subsection (1A) insert—“(1B)A person is not guilty of an offence under subsection (1) or (1A) by using or keeping a vehicle on a public road during any of the 5 working days following the time when a licence or nil licence for the vehicle, or a relevant declaration applying to the vehicle, ceases to be in force, if an application for a licence or nil licence for or in respect of the vehicle to run from that time has been received before that time.(1C)In subsection (1B) “working day” means any day other than—(a)a Saturday or Sunday, or(b)a day which is Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Good Friday or a bank holiday under the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971 in any part of the United Kingdom.(1D)For the purposes of subsection (1B)—(a)there is a relevant declaration applying to a vehicle if the particulars and declaration required to be furnished and made by regulations under section 22(1D) have been furnished and made in relation to the vehicle in accordance with the regulations, and(b)the relevant declaration ceases to be in force if, after the particulars and declaration have been furnished and made—(i)the vehicle is used or kept on a public road (otherwise than under a trade licence), or(ii)the period of 12 months beginning with the day on which the particulars and declaration were furnished and made expires.”

Do you actually know that?

(because it is wrong!)

John X

How come I got a producer for not displaying, when I had forgotton to take the new tax disc out of the glove box and stick it to the screen ? I policeman walking down the street spotted my out of date tax disc and spoke to me....I got the new tax disc out of the glove box and showed him....he still gave me a producer saying that strictly speaking its an offence not to display it.

How come I got a producer for not displaying, when I had forgotton to take the new tax disc out of the glove box and stick it to the screen ? I policeman walking down the street spotted my out of date tax disc and spoke to me....I got the new tax disc out of the glove box and showed him....he still gave me a producer saying that strictly speaking its an offence not to display it.

"An offence not to display it" if you actually have one. There's a difference between it being in your glove box because you can't be bothered or forgot, and if the disc is in the post and beyond your control.

"An offence not to display it" if you actually have one. There's a difference between it being in your glove box because you can't be bothered or forgot, and if the disc is in the post and beyond your control.

I don't know what's worse...it was 8am on the 1st May, and I showed him the tax disc. It was pretty petty to give me a producer...but he could have given me a fine...if he was really having a bad day. As for it "being in the post"...thats within your control also - could have applied for it in time.

I don't know what's worse...it was 8am on the 1st May, and I showed him the tax disc. It was pretty petty to give me a producer...but he could have given me a fine...if he was really having a bad day. As for it "being in the post"...thats within your control also - could have applied for it in time.

You could have just said he was lying anyway. I'm sure you'd get away with it if took to court.

Archived