Road fund tax, online payment question

The OP renewed his/her tax disc over the weekend but yet tax discs usually expire on the last day of the month. Sounds like the OP either taxed a SORNED vehicle or the existing tax disc has expired on 30 April and he/she didn't renew on time. Based on the 5 day rule as highlighted in bold below, he/she shouldn't be driving the car until the new tax disc arrives.

When you apply for a tax disc online or by using our phone service you are able to legally continue to drive your vehicle for up to 5 days after the tax disc has expired while you wait for the new tax disc to arrive. This will only apply when you have applied for a new tax disc before the current one expires. You should continue to display the expired disc on your vehicle, until the new one arrives.

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/application?origin=vnav_bar.jsp&event=bea.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=Common+Questions#QUESTION_9

How come I got a producer for not displaying, when I had forgotton to take the new tax disc out of the glove box and stick it to the screen ?

The five days grace the law allows you, is so that your tax disc has time to get to you by letter post. If you have the disc and then for whatever reason don't display it then you can be done for it.

And you must have been very arsey with the cop as most cops I know would just have said, 'Fair enough mate. Get it stuck in the window' when they saw you had a new tax disc.

What was the producer for? (ie. which documents?)

John X

And you must have been very arsey with the cop as most cops I know would just have said, 'Fair enough mate. Get it stuck in the window' when they saw you had a new tax disc.

Well maybe it wasn't one of the cops that you know.

Well maybe it wasn't one of the cops that you know.

Well given that tax, insurance, MOT and DVLA details are all instantly accessible to any cop, one of those must not have been showing on the system to warrent a producer.

That's why I asked what documents were to be produced.

John X

Archived