How young can children start Piano Lessons?

HI

I'm looking at piano lessons. Is 3 too young. My parents have just been given a old piano and my son loves it. Is it too early to starts lessons, and can any1 recommend a good piano teacher in the S20 or S9 areas.

Thanks

I was going to say '3 is too young', but thinking on it I would say it is subjective.

If he was to learn now, then I would say that it shouldn't be with any great intensity. He's still a child so it would have to be a version of "musical play" more than musical study. 6 seems to be around the age that musical talent forms itself into some type of 'study', which is what music is. Listz and Chopin started around this age. Mozart started at 4, but he was a child prodigy too so it shouldn't be considered the norm.

My advice is try him with a teacher who has experience with teaching children, and don't push him if his mood goes on and off music. You don't want to turn practice into a chore just yet.

I would also suggest that the prospective tutor takes a look at the piano. If the instrument is in good condition ( and I don't mean a nice polished bit of furniture) then fair enough. Sadly, many have been neglected and even an accomplished musician would struggle on a poor one, let alone a beginner.

I was 6 and that was 3 years too late. 3 years old to start getting familiar with notion of piano is fine, even 2.5 years is fine. And dont fob them off with an electric one. They need to get to know that the acoustic piano is the most formidable instrument in the orchestra straight away.

Go for it, my brother learnt how to play when very young and he has had so much enjoyment from it, I really envied him as my sister and I had to go to ballet class instead

However we did get to listen to him playing Rachmaninov when he was unwinding after stresses of the day:hihi:

3 isn't too young as long as he's got the concentration to sit still for half an hour and you can find a teacher who is used to teaching small children.

My sister and I both started aged 4 and always enjoyed lessons :)

Archived