Bonfires in the day time..

It is illegal to burn household rubbish ( including doors ) at any time. To the OP, if it isn't just garden rubbish you could tell your local environmental health, but that will take time to solve the problem. If you feel intimidated and that you can't reason with the neighbour or that he will be an ass, go to the nearest phone box and dial 999. When they ask for your name say you'd prefer not to give it, you don't have to. Tell them you can see smoke coming from house no. whatever and you can't tell if it is the house or the garden.

When they arrive, if it's not garden waste, a decent crew manager who knows his stuff will put it out and tell him not to burn household waste again. He should be warned that if he does it again there is a good chance he will be charged a call out fee. ( £350 iirc )

Next time he lights it, if do the same thing again. He'll get the message.

It is illegal to burn household rubbish ( including doors ) at any time. To the OP, if it isn't just garden rubbish you could tell your local environmental health, but that will take time to solve the problem. If you feel intimidated and that you can't reason with the neighbour or that he will be an ass, go to the nearest phone box and dial 999. When they ask for your name say you'd prefer not to give it, you don't have to. Tell them you can see smoke coming from house no. whatever and you can't tell if it is the house or the garden.

When they arrive, if it's not garden waste, a decent crew manager who knows his stuff will put it out and tell him not to burn household waste again. He should be warned that if he does it again there is a good chance he will be charged a call out fee. ( £350 iirc )

Next time he lights it, if do the same thing again. He'll get the message.

And what happens if there is a real emergancy?? :loopy:

Burning domestic waste

It is an offence to get rid of domestic waste in a way likely to cause pollution or harm to human health, including burning it.

A wooden door isn't going to cause pollution by burning it, wood is what we traditionally burn on fires!

if its more than garden waste:

Burning domestic waste

It is an offence to get rid of domestic waste in a way likely to cause pollution or harm to human health, including burning it.

pop round and polity ask them when they will stop burning as you would like to air some washing. if they get arsey tell them about the law, if they refuse call the council.

A wooden door isn't going to cause pollution by burning it, wood is what we traditionally burn on fires!

is paint? is varnish? it would still be considered domestic as the wood did not come from the garden in any case.

is paint? is varnish? it would still be considered domestic as the wood did not come from the garden in any case.

The statement regarding domestic waste is not absolute, it specifically says "in a way that causes pollution", not "by burning". So unless burning the door causes pollution then it's okay.

Luckily the wind blew the smoke towards there house and in the opposite way to my garden and they all started coughing quite alot (that will teach them lol), so I left it out. I did do abit of digging on the net and found that I can call the council to report it if it was causing me any stress etc, I can not remember the exact terms they used, but the website was very useful.

Archived