Anybody Remember The Oatcake Man

A long time ago in the 50s when I was a young Tup,there used to be a guy pedalled around Penistone Rd and all streets in the area on a butchers delivery bike.He wore a trilby hat,collar and tie and a suit,in the basket at the front it was full of fresh oatcakes and pikelets covered with a muslem cloth.He did a roaring trade,I remembered he did this for many years,can any of you old trumpers out there remember him?.:hihi::roll::D

well in the early 60s parson cross, every Saturday evening , man carring a large basket

shouting ...... OAT CAKES .....Oat cakes you could hear him for ages. wore a dark hat glasses ......

We had one that used to come round at midnight on Christmas eve, ringing an old handbell. My parents used to say if we weren't asleep and heard Santas bell we wouldn't get any presents. So you can see I am like I am because I had a deprived childhood and no presents from age 5 when I looked out of window and saw the pikelet man:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

well in the early 60s parson cross, every Saturday evening , man carring a large basket

shouting ...... OAT CAKES .....Oat cakes you could hear him for ages. wore a dark hat glasses ......

I lived on Knutton Cres in the 60`s and well remember him as wearing a brown overall coat over his suit wearing a trilby and glasses and pushing a bike with a basket on the front,my memory always makes me think of Mr Grimsdale from the Norman Wiisdom films LOL,he seemed to stop coming around the early 70s I think.

Hes in my memory banks with the Walls ice cream man with the little pencil mustache who I now realise was probably some sort of perv the way he used to chat up the lasses on our street and the Siek fella who used to come every six months or so selling tea towels etc out of a suitcase ,we used to stand behind mam pearing around her skirts to get a glimpse of the exotic strange LOL

• 4 months later...

Archived