Freewiew & The Digital Switch Over

Hi Folks

Just to remind you all, and also any friends you know not yet on Freeview or Freesat, that on the 7th September the Emley Moor and 10th August the Chesterfield region transmitters will be switching to 100% Digital. This means anybody still watching BBC1, BBC2, ITV, CH4 & CH5 without a set-top-box or Digital TV will be losing them.

Granted, if your TV was bought within the last 8 or so years then it is likely to be tuned into Digital stations anyway (if you already have E4, Sky News, Dave etc). No problem.

Have no worries about Digital Aerials, as there is NO SUCH THING! If you are already getting good quality TV reception through your aerial then your aerial is already set to go.

Digital set top boxes can be bought from places such as Argos, Tescos, Morisons & Sainburys for less than £25 and are EASY to detup, plug and go :D

When the system switches the digital will be boosted, so flakey

digital reception should improve.

Not really a con as most will gain around 100 chanels for a few

quid (if not free).

I'll believe that when I see it.

I was perfectly happy with the old analog signal. Five TV channels is more than enough for anyone, if there's nothing on you want to watch put a DVD on or even, gasp, have a conversation with your family.

Once again something that was fine as it was has been changed for no reason other than to make money out of people. Another Labour government cockup!

I too demand only five channels and little choice. I blame the labour government of a hundred years ago for this as well as the dirt under my big toe and I also blame them for my grey hair.

Why must things change? I fear change and am happy to stay in the here and now and don't want these new fangled inventions as I can't have a choice of TV channels AND interact with my family as it is too much for me.

• 1 month later...

ah I can see issues arising.

This weeks top tip:

To maintain your crusty Channel5 viewing, simply pop to the cinema and watch any 3D filum, thus requiring them there 3D specky efforts.

They are now yours, take them home and chop out the lenses, replacing them with grease proof paper. Wahlahh!

...or

Only watch Channel5 as soon as you wake up in the morning whilst your eyes are still full of dream boggies...whammy :D

• 2 weeks later...

VIEWERS in Rotherham will be given the chance to find out more about the region’s switch to digital television when the switchover roadshow arrives in town next month.

Digit Al, the switchover robot, will join the roadshow team as they travel almost 4,000 miles through 85 areas over the next three months, offering practical advice on how to get set for digital, as well as the Switchover Help Scheme for older and disabled people.

The roadshow will be outside Boots in Howard Street, Rotherham, from 9am to 5pm on Saturday, July 2.

Visitors to the roadshow will have the opportunity to find out when switchover is happening and the options for going digital, learn how eligible people can get a TV converted by the Switchover Help Scheme and get advice on how to retune.

John Askew, Digital UK regional manager for Yorkshire, said: “The whole of the Yorkshire TV region, covering more than six million viewers, will have switched to digital by the end of September.

“This is a great opportunity for people to meet the teams from Digital UK and the Switchover Help Scheme, find out how to prepare and learn what assistance is available.”

For those unable to be there on July 2, the roadshow will be back in town at the same spot on September 7, 8, 21 and 22.

Alternatively, you can find out more on 08456 505050 or at digitaluk.co.uk.

Archived