We Can Rebuild Him!

Way back in the early 60s I worked as a vanlad for the Don Bakery,at this time I heard of a terrible accident befalling a vanlad at Fletchers Bakery,his name was Barry Dams.He was on his round at the rear of his wagon when a drunk driver ran into him crushing his legs into the back step severely injuring him.In hospital they amputated one straight away,tried to save the other but he lost that as well.The years went by until in my 30s I started at Fletchers as a salesman and I met Barry,Paul Fletcher had looked after him giving him a desk job dealing with customers.He always had a smile and a joke for you,a very popular lad,he had false legs just like Douglas Bader,any way one day he called out the fitter to his office,we all had a nosey,one of his legs had seized up it was on the desk the fitter attacking it with wd40 and a screwdriver,the leg still attached.Everyone started having a laugh Barry included,some wit shouted out[steve Austin we can rebuild him].Sadly shortly after Barry retired he collapsed and died while washing his caravan you had to admire the way he coped with everything,a top man!:cool::cool::cool:

Archived