GP won't treat veruccas

Receptionist are just that (no disrespect to GP receptionists on SF) you phone them, they make the appointment, they are NOT qualified to triage patients in the manner of a nurse, your appointment is PERSONAL between you and your GP. Your appointment could be for one of many very personal/intimate/pyschological reasons and there is no darn reason why the receptionist has to know any of this, and he/she is not there to offer advice or alternative treatment. Nuff said.

Before anyone rants/trolls at me, I've worked in the NHS for 15 years so I think I've got a good background to comment.

I agree - GP receptionosts have no right to ask why you need an appointment with the doctor and you should NEVER tell them.

Stick to your guns and insist on making an appointment if you need one.

Gonna give it another go with some stuff from chemist, if it doesn't work this time I'll just make an appointment at GP. As for chiropodist Tony, I can't afford to pay £50+ for private treatment especially when there's no guarantee due to it being caused by a virus. Thanks all.

GP receptionists have every right to ask because it is their job to establish which member (and type) of staff a patient needs to see.

we never ask a patient why they need to see a gp

the only exception is if they are making a telephone appointment then we have been to told ask the patient to give us a brief description of their symptoms which helps the doctor prioratise the phone calls...of course they dont have to give us that information and that is fine

They have every right to ask because it is their job to establish which member (and type) of staff a patient needs to see.

Well, most patients know if they need to see a Dr or a Nurse....Primary Consultations should be with your GP. Blood tests, vaccinations etc, should be made with the practice nurse, you DON'T have to divulge your symptoms to the receptionist, if in doubt just tell the receptionist ''It's personal'' .

GP receptionists have every right to ask because it is their job to establish which member (and type) of staff a patient needs to see.

A verruca doesn't need a doctor.

sometimes they do........and like I said can be treated using cryotherapy

done most of the time at the surgery itself

Well, most patients know if they need to see a Dr or a Nurse....Primary Consultations should be with your GP. Blood tests, vaccinations etc, should be made with the practice nurse, you DON'T have to divulge your symptoms to the receptionist, if in doubt just tell the receptionist ''It's personal'' .

If I didn't visit surgeries how would I know who I needed to see? You are quite right, it's not compulsory but it can make everyone's life much easier if the receptionist can get some details if that is how the practice is run.

Receptionists aren't being nosey - they have been instructed to ask by a doctor.

I haven't been to doctors since middle of last year, think I was just a bit disappointed with the response. Guess theres mild and more severe cases of all conditions. Just a bit surprised at the thought of someone in a chemist sorting it. I know they take blood pressure and can check cholesterol but never heard of them doing minor surgery.

Archived