Day 1 stopping smoking!

I've been studiously avoiding this thread because I lasted about three hours last Monday. It was such a pitiful attempt that I've rationalised it as not really counting as an attempt, if that makes sense. To avoid the failure/guilt thing.

I've been thinking all week about doing it, though. Pretty much every time I've had a cigarette I've thought about how I don't really want to be doing it, which has to be a good sign.

I'm going to try again when this packet is finished, probably about halfway through tomorrow.

i was the same, asking myself if i was "really enjoying it" and i wasnt. but i do when i go to the pub, dont give up:)

Andy, having a smoke when you go to the pub isnt a loss dude, its just a very tiny setback, my dad only ever smoked on sat nights and sunday lunch when he was in the pub, he went from being a habitual smoker to being a social smoker and claimed to enjoy it, even look forward to it as he did his first weekend pint :D

i am still stopped, 2 weeks and 3 days today :rant: am bored :rant: grumpy :rant: ever hungry :rant: brush my teeth around 20 times aday :hihi: think the stress of not smoking is doing damage to the heart :suspect: but its healthy :huh:

I've been studiously avoiding this thread because I lasted about three hours last Monday. It was such a pitiful attempt that I've rationalised it as not really counting as an attempt, if that makes sense. To avoid the failure/guilt thing.

I've been thinking all week about doing it, though. Pretty much every time I've had a cigarette I've thought about how I don't really want to be doing it, which has to be a good sign.

I'm going to try again when this packet is finished, probably about halfway through tomorrow.

Can I ask a question about this, just cause I am interested.

When you have had this kind of setback and you realise that you dont want to carry on, why is there a need to finish off the packet?

I would have thought it would be best just to throw the packet away, but I am assuming this is hard to do?

Just interested in the reasons that is all.

Can I ask a question about this, just cause I am interested.

When you have had this kind of setback and you realise that you dont want to carry on, why is there a need to finish off the packet?

I would have thought it would be best just to throw the packet away, but I am assuming this is hard to do?

Just interested in the reasons that is all.

You're absolutely right, it would be better to throw it away. But by not throwing it away, even if I'm not enjoying smoking at the moment, I'm still delaying the inevitable irritability, insomnia and general emotional instability that's going to happen whenever I do stop.

Knowing logically that it won't happen for very long, or be the end of the world, doesn't make it easier to face.

Basically fear is the short answer :hihi:

You're absolutely right, it would be better to throw it away. But by not throwing it away, even if I'm not enjoying smoking at the moment, I'm still delaying the inevitable irritability, insomnia and general emotional instability that's going to happen whenever I do stop.

Knowing logically that it won't happen for very long, or be the end of the world, doesn't make it easier to face.

Basically fear is the short answer :hihi:

So what would happen emotionally if you did throw it away?

So what would happen emotionally if you did throw it away?

Well, eventually, it would be great and I'd feel happy and proud of myself and generally thrilled - but those first few days, no matter how positive I tried to be about it, would probably still end in tears at some point. Or me shouting at the dog for no real reason and then feeling AWFUL about it.

Imagine a really bad case of PMT. That's what nicotine withdrawal feels like to me.

So I need to focus on the positive emotion rather than the negative to get me over the fear of just stopping. And now I've written that down, with the comparison to PMT, it seems a bit less frightening.

(espadrille, I feel like you're my therapist or something, helping me to work through difficult issues and confront the truth! It's great :hihi:)

Well, eventually, it would be great and I'd feel happy and proud of myself and generally thrilled - but those first few days, no matter how positive I tried to be about it, would probably still end in tears at some point. Or me shouting at the dog for no real reason and then feeling AWFUL about it.

Imagine a really bad case of PMT. That's what nicotine withdrawal feels like to me.

So I need to focus on the positive emotion rather than the negative to get me over the fear of just stopping. And now I've written that down, with the comparison to PMT, it seems a bit less frightening.

(espadrille, I feel like you're my therapist or something, helping me to work through difficult issues and confront the truth! It's great :hihi:)

I am glad that you looked at it that way as I didnt want to seem as though I was prying.I am genuinely interested in the psychology of all things and why we do what we all do.

I do find that I go in to therapist mode and find it hard to switch off from it. It comes from working with my clients and suggesting coping strategies for everything!

I am glad that you looked at it that way as I didnt want to seem as though I was prying.I am genuinely interested in the psychology of all things and why we do what we all do.

I do find that I go in to therapist mode and find it hard to switch off from it. It comes from working with my clients and suggesting coping strategies for everything!

It's a fascinating area.

Someone wrote a really good post on, I think, the Champix thread about how stopping smoking can be like losing your best friend and that's a good analogy.

Anything that you use as an emotional or physical crutch has the possibility for dependence or addiction - food, booze, drugs, caffeine, exercise, people...

It's a fascinating area.

Someone wrote a really good post on, I think, the Champix thread about how stopping smoking can be like losing your best friend and that's a good analogy.

Anything that you use as an emotional or physical crutch has the possibility for dependence or addiction - food, booze, drugs, caffeine, exercise, people...

Yes and very few of us can survive with any of those.

I am partial to a bit of chocolate and the odd glass of wine but I suppose I could do without them.

Yes and very few of us can survive with any of those.

I am partial to a bit of chocolate and the odd glass of wine but I suppose I could do without them.

Which is the healthy attitude to have.

But if the thought of not having anything makes you feel anxious - or if you're consuming lots of something that you know logically is bad for you and you have no desire to stop it - then it's a big, flashing warning sign.

Or it is unless you are very, very good at being in denial, which a lot of people are.

Archived