Day 1 stopping smoking!

Which is the healthy attitude to have.

But if the thought of not having anything makes you feel anxious - or if you're consuming lots of something that you know logically is bad for you and you have no desire to stop it - then it's a big, flashing warning sign.

Or it is unless you are very, very good at being in denial, which a lot of people are.

Cant say I have ever felt that way although I am aware that I sometimes work too hard and have to reign myself in when I realise that I am overstimulating.Thats just part of AS.

It is interesting that some of the clients that I work with who are only recently diagnosed have actually got a different disorder that has manifested itself another way such as overeating or over drinking.

I think with smoking it must be different as cigarettes are biologically addictive?

You're absolutely right, it would be better to throw it away. But by not throwing it away, even if I'm not enjoying smoking at the moment, I'm still delaying the inevitable irritability, insomnia and general emotional instability that's going to happen whenever I do stop.

Knowing logically that it won't happen for very long, or be the end of the world, doesn't make it easier to face.

Basically fear is the short answer :hihi:

But just think about the emotional and logical boost from knowing that you didn't give up because you ran out, you gave up because you WANTED TO!

Cant say I have ever felt that way although I am aware that I sometimes work too hard and have to reign myself in when I realise that I am overstimulating.Thats just part of AS.

It is interesting that some of the clients that I work with who are only recently diagnosed have actually got a different disorder that has manifested itself another way such as overeating or over drinking.

I think with smoking it must be different as cigarettes are biologically addictive?

I think there is a difference between things that are physically addictive and otherwise, but it's complex. Cannabis, for example, is not technically physically addictive in the way that, say, heroin or nicotine are, but if someone uses it excessively and regularly for a long time they can experience physical and mental withdrawal symptoms.

Lots of things act on the brain without being technically addictive and stopping them can then produce either physical or mental side effects. I wish I knew more about the science, but I don't. I think it's something to do with neurotransmitters in the brain - endorphins, dopamine and the like? :help:

fell off the wagon big time:(, cant believe it what an idiot! im going out on sunday for a few pints so yet again i've set my date for monday to yet again quit, i must come across as a bit of a joke, but i am using this thread to be honest and to eventually kick the dirty habbit! for all those who have stopped keep going and be strong unlike me!

still not going to quit quitting tho!!!!!!

nicotine replacement does cause side effects read the leaflet, well done for stopping

I've just gone cold turkey. Was only ever 5 to 10 a day though, but can still experiencing craving and effects on my body. None of which are positive yet I might add..

I've been studiously avoiding this thread because I lasted about three hours last Monday. It was such a pitiful attempt that I've rationalised it as not really counting as an attempt, if that makes sense. To avoid the failure/guilt thing.

I've been thinking all week about doing it, though. Pretty much every time I've had a cigarette I've thought about how I don't really want to be doing it, which has to be a good sign.

I'm going to try again when this packet is finished, probably about halfway through tomorrow.

Hey, how many cigs do you smoke a day? I was like you for ages, kept saying I was going to quit but never did. I find that I'm getting more determined the longer I've stopped, start with just a day without one, I'm at a week now, and i know it would really upset me if I had one now, so that's spurring me on.

Quitting with someone else helps, as it almost a competition and don't want the other person to beat you.

I think a person's head has to be in the right place to stop. Previously I had quit for years and started again. I tried for over a year to quit this last time and moving house finally did it for me. I just so didn't want to be a smoker in my new home. The first couple of weeks were tough on me and the people around me but soon after the cravings went and this time I am sa sure as sure can be that I will never smoke again.

Archived