Day 1 stopping smoking!

I have tried everything and my record is 11 weeks with Zyban.

I have just purchased an electronig cig but don't hold out much hope of succeeding.

Whether you believe you'll succeed or you believe you'll fail, you'll probably be right.

Nicotine (the adictive part of the tobacco) only stays in your body for 3 days after your last cig, after that your physical adiction is over, and the only thing remaining is mental addiction.

source: a bloke down the pub.

I stopped in 2001 (I was in hospital for 17 days after breaking my leg)...I used patches for 3 weeks, then I just didn't have the urge to smoke anymore after that.....I assumed I would want to start again when I got home from the hospital due to the addiction but i just didn't....I was a heavy smoker, up to 50 a day at one point....the only thing that did happen to me was that i dreamed about smoking for a year or so, I was also prone to getting a bad chest regularly in that first year...I think the main thing for me is that I really wanted to stop, not for my kids or my wife, but for myself....I feel a lot better for it now but I'm not anti smoking in any way....

Might I ask if you ever have been or are a smoker?

Yes- admittedly not for as long as you, but I gave up by just deciding that I wasn't going to smoke any more.

I'm currently using my willpower to lose weight (and that's working too, albeit slowly).

My point was a positive thinking one. If you've already decided before you start something that you're going to fail at it, is there any point in starting it? It's much more effective to stop the failure/guilt/resignation/failure cycle and wait until you can find a way to be more positive before you start, which is why I didn't tackle my weight until now, because now is when I can actually do something positive about it, rather than making myself miserable whilst failing to lose weight.

Yes- admittedly not for as long as you, but I gave up by just deciding that I wasn't going to smoke any more.

I'm currently using my willpower to lose weight (and that's working too, albeit slowly).

My point was a positive thinking one. If you've already decided before you start something that you're going to fail at it, is there any point in starting it? It's much more effective to stop the failure/guilt/resignation/failure cycle and wait until you can find a way to be more positive before you start, which is why I didn't tackle my weight until now, because now is when I can actually do something positive about it, rather than making myself miserable whilst failing to lose weight.

Spot on the mark...

ps I found it much easier to stop smoking than to lose weight, theres no way I could do the latter on my tod, just joined Slimming World though so things are starting to look up.

Thanks, that's fine, so many folk who attempt to give advice have never experienced the very thing that they are attempting to give advice on. I knew that I was in the last chance saloon, had I not stopped when I did there was no point in trying at a later date.

I have tried everything and my record is 11 weeks with Zyban.

I have just purchased an electronig cig but don't hold out much hope of succeeding.

Many moons ago I used to buy herbal smoking " stuff " from the Wicker Herbalists and smoke it in a pipe, it consisted of a mix of herbs. Sometimes sparks used to erupt from the pipe and I used to smell like a fragrant bonfire, it didn't last long before I reverted back to normal stuff.

Sport, Turf, Players Weights, Black Cat, Woodbine, Park Drive and all the other long lost brands went into and out of my lungs, why i never got lung cancer is beyond me. I even tried dried privet leaves but that never caught on.:loopy:

Many moons ago I used to buy herbal smoking " stuff " from the Wicker Herbalists and smoke it in a pipe, it consisted of a mix of herbs. Sometimes sparks used to erupt from the pipe and I used to smell like a fragrant bonfire, it didn't last long before I reverted back to normal stuff.

Sport, Turf, Players Weights, Black Cat, Woodbine, Park Drive and all the other long lost brands went into and out of my lungs, why i never got lung cancer is beyond me. I even tried dried privet leaves but that never caught on.:loopy:

I once tried smoking that herbal crap, all I can say in it's defense, is that it is impossible to get addicted to it. :gag:

Archived