Day 1 stopping smoking!

[...] It's much more effective to stop the failure/guilt/resignation/failure cycle and wait until you can find a way to be more positive before you start [...]

Yes, exactly this.

The trigger for getting into the right state of mind can be so varied, as well. I've tried to stop smoking in the past and never managed it.

With the benefit of a lot of hindsight (and naval gazing), I can see now that I tried to quit when I was unhappy with various other things going on in my life and attempting to stop smoking was a way of trying to get some control back. Of course, because I was just generally miserable, they both failed within weeks.

I've quit other things, eventually, after a lot of deeply miserable repeats of the cycle above, and the thrill of NOT being in that cycle anymore is one of the best feelings in the world.

So best of luck to the OP and all the other successful quitters on this thread - I hope to be joining you shortly!

The trigger for getting into the right state of mind can be so varied, as well. I've tried to stop smoking in the past and never managed it.

With the benefit of a lot of hindsight (and naval gazing), I can see now that I tried to quit when I was unhappy with various other things going on in my life and attempting to stop smoking was a way of trying to get some control back. Of course, because I was just generally miserable, they both failed within weeks.

I've quit other things, eventually, after a lot of deeply miserable repeats of the cycle above, and the thrill of NOT being in that cycle anymore is one of the best feelings in the world.

So best of luck to the OP and all the other successful quitters on this thread - I hope to be joining you shortly!

The best way I can describe it is that you should be running towards being a non-smoker rather than just running away from being a smoker.

Running away from things doesn't lead to positive thoughts and in my opinion leaves you with guilt and regrets later on, whereas if you've thought about things, know exactly what you're going to get that's positive out of taking a course of action, then that course of action becomes a really positive course of action with a goal that you can truly welcome and congratulate yourself for when you finally get it.

My goals at the moment include getting in to a pair of jeans that's a size smaller. I've bought the same jeans in 5 sizes, starting one size smaller than I was before I started trying to lose weight. The first pair are now too big and the second size are starting to get a little baggy. I can fasten the third pair, although they're too tight to be comfortable at the moment. I'm giving myself until the end of next year (a date which could be extended) to explore where I can go with this, but I don't have a fixed target because wherever I go it will be a good outcome compared to where I started.

[...] if you've thought about things, know exactly what you're going to get that's positive out of taking a course of action, then that course of action becomes a really positive course of action with a goal that you can truly welcome and congratulate yourself for when you finally get it [...]

Again, yes and yes.

One of the things that finally got me into a place where I'm altering all my bad habits was a really murky psychological soup of guilt, shame and, to be honest, boredom with myself for feeling so crappy about everything all the time.

I was drowning in this soup (bad metaphor, but you get the gist), it tasted bloody awful, I was making decisions that were actively bad and I finally decided I'd rather be swimming somewhere else instead.

It is such a refreshing change to feel proud of myself, it really is. I'm evangelical about how much better I feel in every single way since I've started making these changes, and once I've knocked smoking on the head as well I'm going to be so irritatingly smug and full of myself (to go with being clear-lunged, dewy-skinned and fitter) that people are going to actively avoid me. Bring it.

And your jeans technique is fabulous. I wonder if I can get hold of a lung capacity tester thingy to see tangible improvements on the smoking front...

day 1 has been a success!!!!! no cravings!!!!! :hihi:

been here before so not counting my chickens just yet, tho im feeling strong!

Keep up the positive thinking. That is the only thing that gets you through anything where there are barriers to overcome.

The best way I can describe it is that you should be running towards being a non-smoker rather than just running away from being a smoker.

Running away from things doesn't lead to positive thoughts and in my opinion leaves you with guilt and regrets later on, whereas if you've thought about things, know exactly what you're going to get that's positive out of taking a course of action, then that course of action becomes a really positive course of action with a goal that you can truly welcome and congratulate yourself for when you finally get it.

My goals at the moment include getting in to a pair of jeans that's a size smaller. I've bought the same jeans in 5 sizes, starting one size smaller than I was before I started trying to lose weight. The first pair are now too big and the second size are starting to get a little baggy. I can fasten the third pair, although they're too tight to be comfortable at the moment. I'm giving myself until the end of next year (a date which could be extended) to explore where I can go with this, but I don't have a fixed target because wherever I go it will be a good outcome compared to where I started.

I like this:thumbsup:

Stopping smoking is not a sacrifice. People say that they are "giving up" smoking as if they are depriving themselves of something. You are not! You are gaining your health, gaining massively financially, gaining a huge improvement in your personal hygeine. You and your clothes and possibly your house and car will not stink any more! Your mouth will feel fresher, your teeth will look whiter. You will not have to "bump start" your lungs every morning. You will be able to taste food again.

What exactly are you giving up? You are giving up killing yourself very slowly and giving up your addiction to an awful drug that controls you.

Archived