Numtys reverse parking at supermarkets,

Well you are a creature nof habit and sadly think it important to devte you energy to debating a rather tri!vial and bland issue!

I'm not even debating it, just saying why I do it. I don't care how people park. Makes no difference to me.

If cars park rear to rear, how do you get your shopping in the boot ?

I do that by opening it. I've never yet known the car behind me to have parked up so close as to make that impossible. (Probably because the driver would be causing himself the same problem if he were to do it!)

I can open my boot no matter how close another car is parked. It opens straight upwards, not outwards.

I've never put that to the test by parking flush up against a wall, but thinking about it you're probably right. (Well, obviously you're right about your own car... I mean it may well apply to ours too!)

Just to throw a cat in amongst the pigeons ...

What if the car is rear engined like a Porshce or Ferrari ? Which way do you park it then? :huh:

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

It would appear if you want to be a rubbish driver, you would back it in to you put the shopping in at the back of the parking space!

The point being made by those who reverse in, is its much safer to all reversing into a parking space. I reverse park in car parks and when parallel parking. It is easier, it takes the same time if not less and when you leave the parking space, you can see more clearly what is in the area you are entering. You will find some works/business car parks actually instruct staff to 'Back It In'. People dont tend to walk between 2 cars end to end in car parks, normally across the front, where there is space. As a child is generally pointed out, a child cannot be seen through the rear view mirror and not much is seen through wing mirrors exiting a parking space.

After being a professional driver for 6 years, I dont think reversing into a parking space makes me a bad driver or means I 'cant drive'. My marks for 3 different driving licences also back this up ;)

Ee bah gum!

Just to throw a cat in amongst the pigeons ...

What if the car is rear engined like a Porshce or Ferrari ? Which way do you park it then? :huh:

From a driving point of view, it's easiest to manouvre with the steerable wheels in the open space; so, assuming you still steer the Porsche with the front wheels, you'd still back it in and drive out.

A forklift has steerable rear wheels because you HAVE to go into a storage bay front-first to pick stuff up on the forks. Hence you're going to be reversing out, so they make the rear wheels steerable.

A competent driver should, all things being equal, be able to park either way round without difficulty, but not all things are always equal.

This really depends how close the next "bank" of parking bays are and how narrow the spaces are. If the spaces are narrow & the cars in the bays you are driving towards on exit are close, it is much easier to reverse out.

Why?

If you have reversed in and are driving out forwards, you have to clear quite a bit of the cars next to you before you can start turning the steering wheel. As the pivot point is your rear wheels, your car gets very close to the cars at the side of you.

If you reverse out, yes you do have to drive further before you can turn the wheel, but as the car "pivots" on the rear wheels, you can get a lot of lock on, the rear of the car doesn't move too much and the front easily "spins" out.

This is the same princiapl as reverse parallel parking - You stick the back end in, then turn the steering wheel to pivot on the rear and bring the front in. I'd draw you a diagram but I feel it would be lost on here...

Archived