Earl Marshall flats

Visited NGH today and curiosity and nostalgia got the better of me and I drove to have a look where my lovely old Nan used to live on Earl Marshall flats. When did they get pulled down ??? I know the area is not the best but I remember some of the lovely old people who used to live there. My Nan used to scrub the communal stairs every week and go running to other peoples flats with hot dinners, cakes and other goodies. They used to plant snowdrops,daffodils etc..and took a real pride in where they lived (most, not all). !! How times change.

• 10 months later...
Did your Nan ever mention a communal carer who lived in one of the flats called Elsie Richards ? If they're the flats I'm referring to, on the left going towards the school, they were only built in the 70's I think, so what on earth was behind their early demolition ?

lack of maintenance? general deterioration of typically substandard 1960s/70s properties? Area with a bad reputation, meaning prospective tenants were reluctant to take up tenancies in those properties? Scheduled clearance of surplus properties?

Perm any eight from ten of those reasons.

Archived