Death on the telly (BBC1 12/05/11)

Apparently there is a program on BBC1 tonight which shows the moment an old man's life finally slips away. Just wondering what people's opinions are? Bit goulish? Interesting?

I'm wondering whether to let my five year old son watch it. You know how inquisitive they are at that age, especially since we had to go to a funeral a few feeks ago and he was asking where they were (the dead person), I think he thought a funeral was some sort of party for them and was expecting them to walk in, but I just had to say he was dead and he's in that wooden box at the front. I don't see the point in hiding stuff like this about death, it comes to us all and I've never taught him the nonsense about so-and-so's in heaven now once they've gone.

Mods I'd appreciate this being left in General Discussions as it's not really Entertainment as such. Cheers.

Death is another natural part of life, yet we seem to sweep it under the carpet and it's become one of those subjects that we don't talk about. It's weird as all other aspects of life, from birth to sex, are often documented on tv. I am all for breaking taboos and having such things shown on tv, so long as it's not just for entertainment sake.

I do recall the BBC showing the death of a young girl, a few years back, and the last moments of that girl's life will remain with me until my dying day. It really did get me!!

I remember seeing a man being shot on a news report - he was out late after a curfew in Africa somewhere (I can't remember the exact details as I was only about 12) and he begged the soldiers, then the reporter filming. They shot him at the roadside then dragged his body off the roadside like he was nothing. Horrible. As AO said, those images cannot be unwatched.

It's not entertainment? Are you sure?

The programme is being shown on the grounds of entertainment, but the debate about whether to let a five year old watch it, perhaps has a wider-ranging brief.

I don't think I'd want a five year old watching it, but I'm no expert on children. I do remember reading that this is one reason why it's good for young children to have pet goldfish, or hamsters - something with a short lifespan; it gets them used to the concept of death, which is one we all really could do with getting used to since we're all going to end up facing it.

The programme is being shown on the grounds of entertainment, but the debate about whether to let a five year old watch it, perhaps has a wider-ranging brief.

I don't think I'd want a five year old watching it, but I'm no expert on children.

I am not sure I would let a five year old watch it. The show will be aimed at adults and as such would not be suitable for children. Unless your child is hugely emotionally and intellectually advanced I would say not.

Last week's programme, about reproduction and birth, was excellent and we were happy for our children to watch it.

I expect that this will be done sensitively, and is necessary.

I think this programme is 'first' only in so far as it is going to show the actual moment of death. Other programmes have shown the moments leading up to.

I think that the way our society wants to ignore death is harmful. I see no reason to not encourage our children to watch this, just because it discusses the end rather than the beginning of life.

Archived