Death on the telly (BBC1 12/05/11)

if you ask me

death is a part of life..........its going to come to all of us, theres no point hiding it.

also theres still the age old debate about assisted suicide WHICH personally i believe should be allowed but.........it adds to that debate.

as long as its done sensitively and "educationally" and has strict warnings incase somebody DOESNT want to see it then fair play, we are all different and have differing sensetivities

I think maybe, if it was me, I would record it, and watch it in private before letting my 5-year old watch it. Then, at least, if its not suitable, I would know in advance. I could also then prepare him for it before watching it, or save it to watch another time if the question of death ever comes up.

I personally wouldn't recommend allowing a five year old to watch it. Children shouldn't be shielded from discussion of death but the process itself really isn't pleasant. After all, most adults haven't witnessed it themselves either. Although this is likely to be a relatively 'peaceful' death I just don't think any 5 year old has the comprehension to fully understand the changes that occur and I think they may find it pretty distressing (I've never witnessed any death I would regard as peaceful so shall remain sceptical until I've seen this). Obviously the decision is up to a parent, but as it's shown post-watershed I certainly wouldn't condone allowing them to watch it without having seen it first.

I have been present when two close friends have passed away,both were peaceful,obviously a lot of anguish for the close family.I held the hand of one until he passed, it was a privilege to be there i have no regrets and totally unfazed about it.As for a 5yr old a bit young i think.

when my gran died 5 years ago aged 96..it happened very late at night and i could not be there for her..i would have gladly held her hand if i could have.i think this programme could show people that there is no need to be scared of death..its part of life.

Archived