Death on the telly (BBC1 12/05/11)

The left wing, pro assisted suicide campaigners had the ear of the left wing, pro assisted suicide element within the BBC to get this programe aired, to desensitise us all to the sensitive issue of death.

No death please, we're British!

The left wing, pro assisted suicide campaigners had the ear of the left wing, pro assisted suicide element within the BBC to get this programe aired, to desensitise us all to the sensitive issue of death.

What do you have against assisted suicide?

If you were found to be keeping a terminally ill dog in your house, in a state where it can no longer eat, drink and barely even blink, confused, scared, starving to death and dehydrated.... you would most likely be charged with animal cruelty.

Why then do we do it to our loved ones?

I may have to watch it on i-player. I have heard nothing but good comments about the programme content and how sensitive the subject was touched, especially with regards to the deceased's family.

It was very good, as was last week's programme.

If you watch last night's programme you'll find out about a guy who can hold his breath for 9 mins, and another than can swim in the freezing Arctic sea for 15 mins.

Oh, and some chap died. He came across as dignified, humble and brave, he loved his wife and family, and he served his country in a world war.

It was his choice to be filmed, and he said that he hoped it would "help others" and be a "an important antidote to the widespread fear that death is necessarily painful, frightening or humiliating". I'm more impressed by those achievements and sentiments than somebody holding his breath for 9 mins to be honest.

Nice one Gerald.

Even though my lad didn't watch it, it was a good programme and in the context of the whole birth to death story of life I think he would have been alright with it. If he starts up with the death questions again (hopefully he's done with it for a while) I'll consider letting him watch the whole programme with me on BBCi Player.

mj, I agree, having watched it I would let my kids watch it as it was not done with wailing which would freak them out but captured wonderfully and was a fitting tribute to the old chap who allowed this to happen.

Initially I thought it would not be suitable for kids but after watching it from start to finish I would let the kids watch all of it.

It was very good, as was last week's programme.

If you watch last night's programme you'll find out about a guy who can hold his breath for 9 mins, and another than can swim in the freezing Arctic sea for 15 mins.

Oh, and some chap died. He came across as dignified, humble and brave, he loved his wife and family, and he served his country in a world war.

It was his choice to be filmed, and he said that he hoped it would "help others" and be a "an important antidote to the widespread fear that death is necessarily painful, frightening or humiliating". I'm more impressed by those achievements and sentiments than somebody holding his breath for 9 mins to be honest.

Nice one Gerald.

the guy who swam in the see at nar freezing was mad, brave and amazing. They said 15 minutes would kill most people but he just swam and swam and then jogged off!

I did watch it and I didn't have any problems with it being shown at all - but I think it was kept post watershed for a reason. Despite the publicity and media sensationalism over showing a death as part of a documentary I still believe society in general is becoming very desensitised to death. Showing such footage to a child of 5, before they have the ability to properly comprehend the concept of death, may have a desensitisation effect.

I was slightly relieved that they didn't include sound and muted the clip - this by far is usually the most distressing part of the process for those who are there.

I did watch it and I didn't have any problems with it being shown at all - but I think it was kept post watershed for a reason. Despite the publicity and media sensationalism over showing a death as part of a documentary I still believe society in general is becoming very desensitised to death. Showing such footage to a child of 5, before they have the ability to properly comprehend the concept of death, may have a desensitisation effect.

I was slightly relieved that they didn't include sound and muted the clip - this by far is usually the most distressing part of the process for those who are there.

You are correct on the sound issue. I have seen old people taking days to die, fighting for breath, which is very distressing for relatives.

Archived