Sheffield 2011 beer festival

owl4eva

We've had Brewdog in the past when we sent a van up to Scotland to collect a load of interesting beers, we've not sourced that way this year.

Also don't forget a lot of Brewdog beers turn up in the Sheffield Tap anyway.

I know there's been a bit of an issue in recent times between Brewdog and CAMRA, I just wondered if that was behind the thinking.

I personally don't like Brewdogs approach to making a name for themselves, but I certainly wouldn't knock the quality of their beers (2nd only to Thornbridge IMHO).....A few of which are in my shed. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

I know there's been a bit of an issue in recent times between Brewdog and CAMRA, I just wondered if that was behind the thinking.

I personally don't like Brewdogs approach to making a name for themselves, but I certainly wouldn't knock the quality of their beers (2nd only to Thornbridge IMHO).....A few of which are in my shed. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

Brewdog seem to think that bashing CAMRA is good marketing. To be perfectly honest it's actually very bad marketing. The result of this was the fiasco over the proposed Brewdog Bar at the Great British Beer Festival, which could have done a good job of informing people about key-keg if Brewdog were more interested in informing rather then playing juvenile politics.

It's a shame really as they do make some outstanding beers, and 5AM Saint is actually best served on gravity in my opinion!

A beer I very rarely see and yet I think it's a cracking pint is Sixer by Bradfield.

I see a few Bradfield beers around town, but the last time I saw Sixer was over a year ago at Henry's. I think it's the perfect beer for converting lager boys into real ale, in fact a managed that with a lad at work and now he regularly pops up to Bradfield to get a few bottles.

Regards

Doom

The competition winners...

Beer of the festival competition

Mild category

1 Imperial Darkness

2 Pot Belly Dark Tusker

Porter

1 Welbeck Portland Black

2 Botamist Night Porter

3 Acorn Old Moor Porter

Bitter

1 Mallinsons Citra

2 Imperial Blonde

3 Acorn Barnsley Bitter

Best Bitter

1 Bradfield Steel Cow

2 Ashover Hydro

3 Dark Star Americal Pale Ale

Speciality beers

1 Thornbridge Raven

2 Steel City Honey Porter

3 Otley O7 Weisen

Stout

1 Imperial Stout

2 Abbeydale Black Mass

3 Bridgehouse Heathcliffe

Strong Ale

1 Great Heck Famous 5

2 Marble Utility 5

3 Raw Grey Ghost

OVERALL WINNERS

Gold - Thornbridge Raven

Silver

= Mallinsons Citra

= Imperial Stout

Champion Beer of Sheffield competition

Gold - Bradfield Farmers Blonde

Silver - Crown HPA

Bronze - Blue Bee Lustin for Stout

been today (thursday) i've got to say the venue worked a treat, big room, plenty of seats, good long bar, toilets easy to access. my only criticism? apart from it being very warm in there but that's not any ones fault, some of the beers were very expensive! some at only 4.2% were £3.40 a pint! they weren't all this price but there were several £2.80 and the like. surely with a festival like this it is a chance for the breweries to try and get their beers known to more people so you would think they would sell it at a competitive rate. especially as the wetherspoons beer festival starts soon and all their beers will be £2.10 a pint. i think they have cracked it with the venue, i hope it stays there but the beers need to be cheaper.

Archived