Sheffield 2011 beer festival

owl4eva

Well said Andy C. Glad the temperature and food issues weren't the norm.

It would be great in the park of course but this is proper freaky weather. Mud would be more likely most years.

All sorted, we now have air con and late food! And no mud obviously.

Some come on down and enjoy some lovely beer and cider!

It was much better than the tents! Though I did find the token system a bit of a pain - I thought the tokens were so the bar staff didn't have to deal with money, as it has been in the past. Instead, the tokens don't cover the price of the half, so you have to use a token and cash, which seems to just make it all more complicated.

I took the opportunity to drink some real cider and perry, which I think is harder to come by than real ale. On reflection, I really should have had tea before I went :D

It was much better than the tents! Though I did find the token system a bit of a pain - I thought the tokens were so the bar staff didn't have to deal with money, as it has been in the past. Instead, the tokens don't cover the price of the half, so you have to use a token and cash, which seems to just make it all more complicated.

I took the opportunity to drink some real cider and perry, which I think is harder to come by than real ale. On reflection, I really should have had tea before I went :D

Yes, token situation not ideal - the proper tokens never got delivered from the printers so it is a bit of a bodge - its somehow working though!

Open all day today midday until 11pm, still lots to drink, charity quiz this afternon and live music tonight.

I had 12 different beers and was not impressed by most of them.The two people who came with me had different ones and said the same.Not a patch on the Sunfest (Rising Sun Nether Green).This is my 4th Steel City fest and I was very disappointed.

Praise to the hard working CAMRA members that have organised the festival before and since my first in 2006 at St Philips Social Club.

I have been to many beer festivals around the UK and my favourites are this year's Derby Winter Ale's that is now at the atmospheric Roundhouse building (not the decayed Assembly Rooms) and the Peterborough beer festival which is in a grassy area near the centre of town and in several large marques which the Sheffield one from 2008 to 2010 equalised with when it was in the marque. The atmosphere in these venues made it alot more enjoyable to drink beer than in a stuffy office block or sports hall and the Sheffield beer festival stands out as attracting a largely younger crowd (under 40's) which is a very positive sign compared with most other festivals around the UK.

The worst festival I have been to is the Manchester Winter Ale's festival in January 2008 which was in an low celiing unatmospheric room, massively crowded, humid and was more of a dehydrating "sweatfestival" than a pleasent time to have real beer. Unfortunately, this year's Sheffield beer festival is getting close to the 2008 Nat. Winter Ales fest.- and I was very disapointed. It seemed alot less busy and appealed to the moaners who can't handle British Weather as the 2008 to 2010 seemed to be busier than this year's and the beer was drunk dry every year.

Perhaps moving the festival date to May/June and in a marque not on a slope like Cemetary Park would work e.g. Weston Park? If it is in Pond's Forge, I doubt any of my friends would go again; but you can't please everyone!

Praise to the hard working CAMRA members that have organised the festival before and since my first in 2006 at St Philips Social Club.

I have been to many beer festivals around the UK and my favourites are this year's Derby Winter Ale's that is now at the atmospheric Roundhouse building (not the decayed Assembly Rooms) and the Peterborough beer festival which is in a grassy area near the centre of town and in several large marques which the Sheffield one from 2008 to 2010 equalised with when it was in the marque. The atmosphere in these venues made it alot more enjoyable to drink beer than in a stuffy office block or sports hall and the Sheffield beer festival stands out as attracting a largely younger crowd (under 40's) which is a very positive sign compared with most other festivals around the UK.

The worst festival I have been to is the Manchester Winter Ale's festival in January 2008 which was in an low celiing unatmospheric room, massively crowded, humid and was more of a dehydrating "sweatfestival" than a pleasent time to have real beer. Unfortunately, this year's Sheffield beer festival is getting close to the 2008 Nat. Winter Ales fest.- and I was very disapointed. It seemed alot less busy and appealed to the moaners who can't handle British Weather as the 2008 to 2010 seemed to be busier than this year's and the beer was drunk dry every year.

Perhaps moving the festival date to May/June and in a marque not on a slope like Cemetary Park would work e.g. Weston Park? If it is in Pond's Forge, I doubt any of my friends would go again; but you can't please everyone!

Correct! Whilst the weather cannot be helped, I did feel that the venue lacked soul. I don't know what the attendance figures were, but it looked quieter than recent years. Shame about the air-con failure, but I think my main issue was just the lack of atmosphere.

Correct! Whilst the weather cannot be helped, I did feel that the venue lacked soul. I don't know what the attendance figures were, but it looked quieter than recent years. Shame about the air-con failure, but I think my main issue was just the lack of atmosphere.

The reason why it looked quieter was that the hall it was held in was much bigger then the marquees in the Cemetery. There was a lot more space then there was with the marquees.

I went on Saturday evening and pretty much everything I wanted was already gone. Not exactly great when you're paying money to get in.

To be fair, they did warn people about that on their website. Next to the saturday opening times it said

"Please be aware that during the final session on Saturday the choice at the bar will be reduced as many beers and ciders will have sold out."

http://www.sheffieldcamra.org.uk/beerfestival.htm

I went on Saturday evening and pretty much everything I wanted was already gone. Not exactly great when you're paying money to get in.

Perhaps not great, but surely expected? There's only usually one barrel of each beer, and some will not be put on at the start to ensure that there is a reasonable selection on the Saturday, but I wouldn't expect there to be more than 1/4 of the beers remaining on the last day, and by 9pm, I'd only expect there to be about a dozen left. Did it encourage you to try different beers that you wouldn't ordinarily try then?

Archived