Sheffield 2011 beer festival

owl4eva

I too was slightly disappointed by the reduced choice of beers on Saturday evening.

To be expected perhaps, but then it would seem reasonable to me to reduce prices for the final session to compensate.

Many of the CAMRA volunteers commented to me that the Saturday evening was quieter than they thought it would be. Another reason to reduce prices for the final session imho.

I thought the band was excellent, but a bit lost in the size of the venue.

What happens to the beer that's left?

I'm preplexed really, many of the breweries are local. If they had run out on the Friday couldn't they just order some more (or have some on standby)? Its just free money for the brewers going to waste.

I got stuck with things I would expect to drink in the pub or would not choose to drink really. I was basically drinking for the sake of it. No perry on Saturday either.

I too was slightly disappointed by the reduced choice of beers on Saturday evening.

To be expected perhaps, but then it would seem reasonable to me to reduce prices for the final session to compensate.

Many of the CAMRA volunteers commented to me that the Saturday evening was quieter than they thought it would be. Another reason to reduce prices for the final session imho.

I thought the band was excellent, but a bit lost in the size of the venue.

What happens to the beer that's left?

If it's anything like some of the festivals that I have worked, the volunteers will be invited back on the Sunday to finish the remainder.

I'm preplexed really, many of the breweries are local. If they had run out on the Friday couldn't they just order some more (or have some on standby)? Its just free money for the brewers going to waste.

I got stuck with things I would expect to drink in the pub or would not choose to drink really. I was basically drinking for the sake of it. No perry on Saturday either.

It's not bloody keg beer that turns up and can be served 10 minutes later. It has to be racked, stand dropped bright. All takes time

It's not bloody keg beer that turns up and can be served 10 minutes later. It has to be racked, stand dropped bright. All takes time

I totally appreciate the logistics, and have no complaints about the inevitable diminishing choice of beers in itself, but I do think it is unfair to charge those turning up for the last session the same as the first one.*

I turned up on Saturday evening with a handful of recommendations, none of them were available. Unsurprisingly none of the prize winners was available. Of the beers that was purchased by the group and recommended, it wasn't long before they were unavailable as well.

At one point I actually bought a bottle of Erdinger (available at Spar), and when I was spotted with it a few of my mates started drinking that too before even that sold out. Drinking this at a beer festival is crazy. :loopy:

Basically I think that when 50% of the choice has been drunk, the prices should be cut to reflect this. This might encourage some of those that turned up for an earlier session to turn up again for a later one, but is would certainly send the message that the people attending the final session were 2nd-class citizens.

I was ultimately disappointed by the experience unfortunately.

:(

*Edit. In fact I think that we were actually charged more for 30% choice than those getting 100% choice at the 1st session. One of our group complained that he was given less tokens than he was the day previously.

I totally appreciate the logistics, and have no complaints about the inevitable diminishing choice of beers in itself, but I do think it is unfair to charge those turning up for the last session the same as the first one.*

I turned up on Saturday evening with a handful of recommendations, none of them were available. Unsurprisingly none of the prize winners was available. Of the beers that was purchased by the group and recommended, it wasn't long before they were unavailable as well.

At one point I actually bought a bottle of Erdinger (available at Spar), and when I was spotted with it a few of my mates started drinking that too before even that sold out. Drinking this at a beer festival is crazy. :loopy:

Basically I think that when 50% of the choice has been drunk, the prices should be cut to reflect this. This might encourage some of those that turned up for an earlier session to turn up again for a later one, but is would certainly send the message that the people attending the final session were 2nd-class citizens.

I was ultimately disappointed by the experience unfortunately.

:(

*Edit. In fact I think that we were actually charged more for 30% choice than those getting 100% choice at the 1st session. One of our group complained that he was given less tokens than he was the day previously.

I do agree that perhaps the entrance fee should be reduced when the choice of beers falls but let's not forget that the overheads such as venue hire etc don't reduce as the beers run out so the inevitable consequence would be that overall the cost of entry for everyone would go up.

Personally, I prefer the easy option...go on Thursday or Friday when there is lots of choice and the entrance fee is lower. No brainer really. :hihi:

There was around 100 beers still on at closing time Saturday night, all which went down the drain...

Exactly. Let's not forget what these events are all about. CAMRA spend large amounts of money on festivals etc. (often money they can't really spare) to bring as many beers to the table as possible in an effort to get drinking cask ale to a wider audience. If it wasn't for these guys you would have been sat in a sterile pub drinking John Smith's Smooth or nothing, many years ago. These events need support if the brewing revival around cask ale is going to continue to thrive. As a publican, I know just how hard it is to make a living in the trade these days. The boys from CAMRA need support both in bodies and funds to keep on with this passion. You're paying for a premium product, hand crafted with love and care, not some chemical muck that smells of nothing and tastes of nothing (if you're lucky).

Strump up happily and support.

Soap box over

Archived