Job centre staff to sign onto the dole

How odd.

Isn't it your responsibility to find a job?

Where did I say it wasn't my responsibility to find a job? I've done all right up to now in finding new jobs by myself.

HELP. As in they can see the job vacancy list on their data base and they know what qualifications I have so surely they can say what jobs are available in my field? Correct?

Believe me I know they are of no help in helping people actually get a job. They don't get paid enough to do that. They just get paid to tell people to sign their name, take it in turn to make the tea/coffee's and eat biscuits.

Years ago when someone lost their job, jonentre staff actually helped to look for a new one and used to phone my son when anything suitable came in, he actually got a job with their help. Today, it's up to the unemployed to find their own job and prove to the jobcentre staff that they have been applying for jobs. With the cost of petrol and parking the travel to the job centre can be costly and the numerous interviews that he has had all had to be paid for out of the £65 per week he was allowed. My son has just found another job on his own merit, after only having been out of work for 4 weeks.

I think if the job centre staff were a little more friendly and amenable they wouldn't be closing, a4e seemed to take money away from jobcentres in the past, maybe it's they who should be closing they don't seem to be doing much with the long term unemployed either.

How odd.

Isn't it your responsibility to find a job?

I think most unemployed people would prefer this option instead of the useless courses and "training" they have to go on.

I heard recently that one of these training "experts" advised those in his class to still dress in their work clothes when they become unemployed, so they can remain "focused."

I can just image the unemployed pole dancers, firefighters and clowns all sat there. It makes me smile....:D

HELP.

As in they can see the job vacancy list on their data base and they know what qualifications I have so surely they can say what jobs are available in my field? Correct?

Believe me I know they are of no help in helping people actually get a job. They don't get paid enough to do that. They just get paid to tell people to sign their name, take it in turn to make the tea/coffee's and eat biscuits.

I really don't know, I see lots of posts which seem to be complaining about the job centre staff telling them to apply for jobs they don't want.

It's/lose lose.

They SHOULD be teaching people to use the job centre website to search for jobs though.

The amount of people complaining that there are only 3 or 4 jobs per day on there (because they don't know how to use it) is unbelievable.

Years ago when someone lost their job, jonentre staff actually helped to look for a new one and used to phone my son when anything suitable came in, he actually got a job with their help. Today, it's up to the unemployed to find their own job and prove to the jobcentre staff that they have been applying for jobs. With the cost of petrol and parking the travel to the job centre can be costly and the numerous interviews that he has had all had to be paid for out of the £65 per week he was allowed. My son has just found another job on his own merit, after only having been out of work for 4 weeks.

I think if the job centre staff were a little more friendly and amenable they wouldn't be closing, a4e seemed to take money away from jobcentres in the past, maybe it's they who should be closing they don't seem to be doing much with the long term unemployed either.

Exactly, people can find work if they want to enough as your son has.

Therefore they wont have to do the courses, won't have to pay to travel to the job centre and wont have to go into the places.

What can you do with the long term unemployed I wonder? I think an answer to that would solve a lot of problems.

I really don't know, I see lots of posts which seem to be complaining about the job centre staff telling them to apply for jobs they don't want.

It's/lose lose.

They SHOULD be teaching people to use the job centre website to search for jobs though.

The amount of people complaining that there are only 3 or 4 jobs per day on there (because they don't know how to use it) is unbelievable.

To be fair, it seems the search facilities on the jobcentre sites mix up locations making it more difficult. Most JC staff want people to get into work as they have targets and unemployed targets are the most important. So much so I used to get in trouble for helping employed people who came into the jobcentre at lunch times as we didn't get any points for them.

To be fair, it seems the search facilities on the jobcentre sites mix up locations making it more difficult. Most JC staff want people to get into work as they have targets and unemployed targets are the most important. So much so I used to get in trouble for helping employed people who came into the jobcentre at lunch times as we didn't get any points for them.

It's not just the locations, it's the fact that people are clicking "All jobs in Sheffield" or where ever, which for some reason only brings up a couple of the recent jobs. Instead of searching for the specific jobs people tend to give up thinking there's nothing there.

I suppose the points idea is a good system apart from for those, like you, who actually wish to help.

It's/lose lose.

I have applied for every job possible on the Direct Gov website within my field of work. Also on My Sheffield Jobs & others.

The staff at the job centre should actually help people find a new job, after all that is what they are employed for.

If I worked at the Job Centre I would help anybody I could who WANTED to work. Unfortunately that isn't the case with the majority of staff there. Maybe I should have their job and help someone make something of their life?

After all I'm a 20 year old woman wanting to make something of my life in Accounts/Business. Believe me I don't want to be going to the job centre, probably the same as a lot of people. I could understand if the staff were unable to help but they can.

to be fair they do occasionally ring to tell you of suitable jobs that have just come in, ive had it happen a few times, but not very often. reason being there isnt that many jobs ........this statistic was mentioned on bbc 1s question time a few weeks ago "Merthyr Tydfil , South Wales currently has 1700 people unemployed with 39 current vacancys".... whilst its maybe not totally representative its certainly very depressing news....shows to some extent what state the country is in.

Is that a yes?

I just wanted to know if their courses to do with helping those of you who can't write CVs As you said they don't benefit anybody.

Or are they other subjects?

Problem is with a CV, is that if you have no qualifications and no work history then its difficult to create an impressive CV.

Mate of mine has been out of work since 1978, been on the sick since the 1980s and has been forced onto one of these programmes.

On the CV workshop, he had to so a skills based CV, for example/

HARD WORKING - he asked, how can he be classed as hard working when he hasn't been in work for over 30 years.

DETERMINED - again, how can this be proved?

FIT - yes, provided you don't include the fact he is an alcoholic

Archived